PDA

View Full Version : Between a Rock and a Big Place

Richard Unsworth
09-05-2012, 08:27 AM
As the saying almost goes...

Playa Contadora, Pearl Islands

This Least Sandpiper leaves the main group and heads off into the widwe open beach, seems to twist his foot as he goes down a small hill of sand.

I choose a pano for this to accentuate the space- bird- rock theme.

ISO 800 F10 1/640 100-400 @ 275 Ev 0 hh A1 servo

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Satish Ranadive
09-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Magnificent image.Rocks make composition elegant.
Beautiful bird,nice pose with twisted foot and nice colorscheme.

Regards,
Satish.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Very appropriate title. Any chance you have a shot similar to this one but with the whole rock on the right. i'd be curious to see the difference.

Richard Unsworth
09-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks Miguel

Sorry rock is placed as in Raw file, composed that way.
Anyways thanks for posting!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

arash_hazeghi
09-05-2012, 11:58 AM
nice pose Richard, I would have traded aperture for shutter speed to get the foot sharp too. low angle and sand are nice.

Richard Unsworth
09-05-2012, 12:03 PM
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">good call Arash, I waiting taking a lot of pics with them feeding around stones and had it in my head to use a larger dof - doh lol

Stu Bowie
09-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Hi Richard, pano crop works well, and before reading Miguel's comment, I too wish to see the whole rock - but as you stated, it was shot as is. The sand compliments the bird nicely.

Richard Unsworth
09-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Hi Stuart

sorry about the rock:S3:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Stu Bowie
09-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Hey Richard, no need to be sorry - I just feel having it all in the image would have improved the image as a whole. :w3

Richard Unsworth
09-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Thats OK Stuart I know thats what you meant I may even , cough, cough , manufacture a rock!

Shawn Zierman
09-05-2012, 03:13 PM
I really like seeing the bend and flexibility in the legs on this image. It's somthing that is not often shown in shorebird images.
I also like the slight oncoming angle. I too wish the whole rock was visible, and with a zoom you certainly had the capability...
something to consider for next time. I find it difficult to consider surroundings, and at times, background control, when attempting
to track and compose on the go with shorebirds on the move....It's a nice image, and I like the pano presentation.