PDA

View Full Version : Theme Having a rest

John Chardine
09-05-2012, 08:12 AM
This is small as they get- a Least Sandpiper. They really are tiny. As Daniel noted in the theme statement we are in the middle of shorebird migration and there's no better place to be than in the Maritimes of Canada (IMO!). This little guy, along with Semipalmated Sandpipers, Dunlin etc, was resting at high-tide, and keeping out of the wind behind a pile of seaweed. In this situation they are about as well camouflaged as you can imagine and you really have to scan everywhere to make sure you don't walk too close to one. As long as you move very slowly and stay low, they are very approachable.

I cropped around the edges to about 50% of original pixels. Evened out the BG tonality and sharpened as usual.

Date: 4 September, 2012, Time: 1440h
Camera: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF400mm f/4 DO IS USM +1.4x, @ 560 mm
Program: Manual
ISO 640, 1/1600s, f/7.1
Flash: off

Miguel Palaviccini
09-05-2012, 09:04 AM
John, thanks for sharing this. It's definitely something different - and definitely something good! At first I thought that the foreground oof area was a bit distracting, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. The only thing that is a tiny bit distracting (And I'm just getting picky here) is the twig on the right side of the image. If you can, clone those guys out :)

Daniel Cadieux
09-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Very different, and I like it! It looks curious at your presence, but at the same time wanting to stay hidden. I do like the FG, but kinda wish it was even thinner and smoother transitioned between it and subject, but I'd take this any day!! Thanks for showing a different perspective on these guys...

Sanjeevprakash
09-05-2012, 09:48 AM
I kind of like this "peeping tom" guy.Nice perspective John.TFS

gail bisson
09-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi John,
This really shows the viewer how well these guys are camouflaged in the beach debris.
I like the browns and tans and beige in the image.
Great feather detail and tack sharp.Well done,
Gail

Melissa Groo
09-05-2012, 12:36 PM
The similar colors and patterns of the setting really make this image. I like the sense of the sandpiper cautiously peeking out. Great comp. Very sweet portrait.

Stu Bowie
09-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi John, lovely portrait shot, and you have captured good detail and shapness. I like how the bill follows the line of the OOF FG, and overall, well placed in the frame.

Shawn Zierman
09-05-2012, 03:18 PM
I like this image in all regards. You have given the viewer an opportunity to have an intimate view into this small bird's world...very engaging.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Neat image. I like your low pov and dof

dankearl
09-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Very cool image, nice low view and interesting comp.
Nice work getting this.

Randy Stout
09-06-2012, 07:02 AM
John:

Very sweet peekaboo pose, sharp, well exposed.

I might try a version with the reds in the background behind the head desaturated just a bit, as the red really stands out amongst the softer tans and browns. I think the head would pop out even more.

Cheers

Randy