PDA

View Full Version : Lying Down on the Job

Arthur Morris
09-04-2012, 07:42 PM
The afternoon of August 30 was one of my best ever at Nickerson Beach. Grace Scalzo got there late but agreed 100%. There were lots of young Black Skimmers at the edge of the Atlantic. Many, like this one, seemed to be drinking from the sand even when there was no wave in the vicinity.....

This one was created with the Canon EOS-1DX and the 800mm f/5.6L IS lens on the 3532 LS Gitzo CF tripod with the Mongoose M3.6. ISO 1600. Evaluative metering + about 2/3 stop: 1/2000 sec. at f/8. (I was set up for skimming action....) Rear focus AF with an off-center sensor active at the moment of exposure.

Don't be shy; all honest comments welcome.

gail bisson
09-04-2012, 07:48 PM
This one made me smile so you get bonus points for that!!
Love your title as well so another bonus point.
Super light and I like all the parallel diagonal lines ie. birds body, the wave line and the slope of the beach.
I would crop a bit tighter ( a smidge) on left and right ( a double smidge!)
Gail

denise ippolito
09-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Awesome pose and composition. I can't stop smiling when I look at this. Wonderful details throughout and that is one clean beach and bill.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Artie, what a great pose captured. I'm curious as to why you didn't go for a tighter crop. I do like the water in the background, and I guess that may have been why!

Arthur Morris
09-04-2012, 08:04 PM
As to the cropping suggestions, please see the screen capture here and see if you can figure it out :). There are really 2 reasons. And I actually have lots of tight images of the same behavior.

Arthur Morris
09-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Awesome pose and composition. I can't stop smiling when I look at this. Wonderful details throughout and that is one clean beach and bill.

Thanks Lady D. I am pretty good at both beach and bill clean-up. The un-cropped original is below. Note also the big yellow cast that was removed. The yellow cast in low light images is much worse with ACR conversions; when I notice them, I convert in DPP.

denise ippolito
09-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Nice clean up. I'm glad you got rid of the purple in the water.

Karl Egressy
09-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I always put the 1/3-2/3 on the eye/head.
I learned something new.
In this situation the body seems to be a better option.
Excellent composition, nice details and pose.
Great PP work.
Love the way the bird is parallel to the water line.
Love the funny pose.

Aidan Briggs
09-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Hey Artie, great soft light and colors. I love the clean beach, and the diagonal lines here.

p.s. just re-sent you an email, I don't think you received it last time.

arash_hazeghi
09-04-2012, 08:32 PM
excellent light pose and nice details. great to see the chicks.

Did you convert this one with ACR or DPP?

Arthur Morris
09-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Hey Artie, great soft light and colors. I love the clean beach, and the diagonal lines here. p.s. just re-sent you an email, I don't think you received it last time.

I've had your dirty underwear here since you left it in the room in Morro Bay :S3:. I did wash it and will have Jim send it back to you tomorrow--if I remember.

PS to those with evil minds: I like only women :S3:.

Arthur Morris
09-04-2012, 08:40 PM
excellent light pose and nice details. great to see the chicks.

Did you convert this one with ACR or DPP?

Converted in DPP. ACR was making all of them from that afternoon way YELLOW.

Grace Scalzo
09-04-2012, 08:54 PM
I still can't stop thinking about the magic of that night. Having dropped my daughter off at JFK, I knew time was tight and almost skipped it. This image is wonderful in its design, behavior, light. Everyone is reacting the same to it as I did, with a smile and with happiness. Maybe it is the youthful pose and sense of exploration...not totally sure, but it is wonderful indeed.

arash_hazeghi
09-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Converted in DPP. ACR was making all of them from that afternoon way YELLOW.

I could tell since the details are excellent and colors are spot on. ACR is just terrible when it comes to noise and accurate colors. You will soon be converted ;)

nrohrbacker
09-04-2012, 09:21 PM
This looks like dry land skimming practice... Great shot.

Dan Behm
09-05-2012, 12:28 AM
excellent, a very unusual pose, love the lighting and composition here. beautiful work...

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Fantastic! Just Awesome. I like the composition as is. Your work is always inspiring!
Regards
Sanjeev

Robert Holguin
09-05-2012, 01:57 AM
Wow!! Stunning shot. Wonderful light, just love the pose, and excellent comp.
Well done.

christopher galeski
09-05-2012, 03:23 AM
not much to add,its all been said,its a well composed image,well done.

Daniel Cadieux
09-05-2012, 05:02 AM
This is a very calm and peaceful image to look at. One of these days (not this year) I'll make this place it a destination to go to!!

Arthur Morris
09-05-2012, 05:26 AM
This looks like dry land skimming practice... Great shot.

I have seen that often but in this case the bird was standing still..... And drinking as a wave approached or as the bird moved forward.

Arthur Morris
09-05-2012, 05:27 AM
This is a very calm and peaceful image to look at. One of these days (not this year) I'll make this place it a destination to go to!!

It is a wonderful spot with lots of action. I need to get back there more often....

Miguel Palaviccini
09-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Artie- thanks for posting the before image. Really helps me see what you did to get from the before to the after. I wish more people did this! I think it's a great learning tool.

Sanjeevprakash
09-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Lovely Shot,Arthur.Only an experienced eyes can see such opportunities and Hands can Make em.TFS

Melissa Groo
09-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Wicked cool behavior image. I love that light, and the way you placed him in the frame. Terrific job of course on the beach cleanup. Very evocative feel to this.