PDA

View Full Version : Adult Buff Breasted Sandpiper

Shawn Zierman
09-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I'll add a slightly different take to the recent buff breasted sandpiper images posted. This is an adult. The bird was photographed recently near Lake Superior, (Minnesota side).
I've had my fair share with juveniles of this species, but this was the first adult I've encountered. Buff breasted sandpipers have a very narrow migratory path through the
center of North America. Subsequently, many buff breasted sandpipers photographed (not including those photographed on their breeding grounds), are wandering juveniles.
I watched and photographed this bird for about an hour and a half, during which time it focused on foraging primarily on lawn moths, (the adult form of sod webworms).
Canon7d, Sigma50/500os, iso800, f8, 1/640, cropped, resized, NR ran selectively on the background, USM.
Comments and critiques welcome....I am here to learn :)
Regards,
Shawn Zierman.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Very nice angle and composition. I could see a little more sharpening on the head helping out a bit. I like the warm colors, but would consider making it a bit less warm.

laurie golden
09-04-2012, 09:50 AM
This is a very good looking bird, nice detail, low angle and background. Hard to find something wrong with this photo. I might like to see a little more room on the bottom but overall it is great just as it is.

Satish Ranadive
09-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Shawn,
Fabulous image.Very nice composition.I like the nice BG and grass.Love the pose,colors and details.

Regards,
Satish.

denise ippolito
09-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Beautiful image. I agree w/ Laurie regarding more room at the bottom, love the head turn and the setting.

Karl Egressy
09-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Wow, striking image in great light, Shawn.

Bill Jobes
09-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Very nice image, Shawn.

What time of day was it? Near sundown ?

I ask because the bird looks almost un-naturally golden to my eye.

But since that 'warm-ness' is an overall cast to the photograph, very late afternoon light would help explain it.

Shawn Zierman
09-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the great feedback, that's why I joined this site!
I will work on adding canvas for the bottom, as I don't have
any more space there on the original file. I'll re-post if I do a
good enough job with it. The image was made very close to
sunset, hence the "warmth".

Richard Unsworth
09-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Cracking image Shaun, hard to crit.
looks like focus might have been on cere? (nostril)
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

arash_hazeghi
09-04-2012, 01:49 PM
handsome bird in good light with a great low angle and display of environment. It's a bit too centered as presented and I would also reduce the strong reddish cast from the evening light a bit while keeping the overall warm mood/tones. This can be done with a 10-15% cooling filter.

Shawn Zierman
09-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Well, I'm not there yet in regards to extending the bottom canvas. It's so varied, I'm having a hard time making it look good.
What I've done here is to adjust the white balance slightly while processing the RAW, to cool the image down a bit. Then I
reworked the crop to have more canvas on the right, to take the bird more off center. Then I resized, selectively ran NR on the
background, then selectively sharpened the bird with USM, then did one more light pass of selective USM on the bird's head.
Thoughts?

Daniel Cadieux
09-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Shawn, thanks for posting this! I love to see the varying plumages and to see an adult among all the juvies posted is a treat. The first impression that I got was that it was photographed in golden light so I am OK with the original post. I also thought the comp was OK as there is much more room in front of the bill as behind the tail...having said that I do prefer the new comp. Great low angle and beautiful smooth BG.

Robert Holguin
09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Wonderful image. Great pose, excellent low angle, love the light and background. I personally like the colors in the original with the repost comp.
Well done.

Shawn Zierman
09-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks again for the feedback. Lovin it. This will be my last repost of this image. Basically, it's with the
(imo), improved composition, with more of the original color/tonal feel.....I can live with the space on the
bottom, but acknowledge that extending the canvas there just a bit is definitely worthwhile.

Arthur Morris
09-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Good job on the repost. I love the low perspective and the raised foot. Adults of this species are mega-rarities anywhere on the east coast of N.A.

Grace Scalzo
09-04-2012, 09:10 PM
It 's a precious image, Shawn . Love the repost. He looks purposeful with the raised leg. A real treat
to see, thanks.

Ofer Levy
09-04-2012, 10:40 PM
The last repost is wonderful!! Great work mate!

Stu Bowie
09-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Hi Shawn, lovely pose and angle, and the light has brought out the warm colours nicely. The only thing that bothered me in your OP was the sharpening, but you have nailed that in your repost - well done.

christopher galeski
09-05-2012, 03:40 AM
very nice image,well done.