PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Bush Brown.

Dave Johnson
09-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Taken early this morning, a fair sized crop, but IQ held up, I think!? Only other PP work done was sharpening.

Shooting info: Canon 60D on tripod, 100mm F2.8L Macro lens, cable release, @ F5.6, SS 1/100, ISO 250. Manual exposure and focus.

C&C most welcome. Thanks for looking.

denise ippolito
09-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Dave, Nice capture, I like the details and the comp. perhaps a tiny sliver more room on bottom and a sliver off the right. I also might tone down the light areas in the background although you did a wonderful job finding a clean background.

Allen Sparks
09-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi Dave,
Love the patterns on this type of butterfly and you captured it very well. Could try toning down the bright part of the background as Denise mentioned. Well done overall!

Allen

Arthur Morris
09-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Sharp as a tack; IQ held up quite well. Good suggestions by Lady D. The image is a bit lacking in drama; perhaps working a bit wider to add some more background color might have improved it. Also, a great job of paralleling the subject.

I was gonna ask if you were the manager of the Baltimore Orioles until I noticed the Japan location :)

Dave Johnson
09-05-2012, 09:36 PM
"denise ippolito

Dave, Nice capture, I like the details and the comp. perhaps a tiny sliver more room on bottom and a sliver off the right. I also might tone down the light areas in the background although you did a wonderful job finding a clean background."

Thanks Denise, the blurred line along the bottom was the of the leaf and below this was another bright white area which I didn't want to include for obvious reasons :S3: Will try and tone down the bright background area though.

"Allen Sparks

Hi Dave,
Love the patterns on this type of butterfly and you captured it very well. Could try toning down the bright part of the background as Denise mentioned. Well done overall!"

Thanks Allen.

"Arthur Morris

Sharp as a tack; IQ held up quite well. Good suggestions by Lady D. The image is a bit lacking in drama; perhaps working a bit wider to add some more background color might have improved it. Also, a great job of paralleling the subject.

I was gonna ask if you were the manager of the Baltimore Orioles until I noticed the Japan location :)"

Thanks again Arthur and agree that it's "lacking in drama". I think the bright background stole the show and left the butterfly looking drabber than it already is. Decided on F5.6 to keep both antenna in focus. F4 might have been Ok though?
No baseball team coach, although I wouldn't say no to their salary! Will you be coming back to Japan this winter Arthur? I saw your work from Hokkaido last year and was very impressed with the crane and Steller's sea eagle shots!

Jonathan Ashton
09-06-2012, 04:14 AM
I like the shot, I think you have good detail in the butterfly, regards the background I agree with the previous comments, I think this will concentrate attention on the butterfly.

Dave Leroy
09-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Well done. I really like how you are square with the butterfly and seem slightly in front. BG's are tough and I also like Denise's suggestions of a bit more room on bottom.