PDA

View Full Version : Wasp attacks grasshopper

Allen Sparks
09-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Canon 7D, 300 f4 IS, Tamron SP 1.4x TC, 580 EX II Speedlite, monopod
ISO 400, f16, 1/250s

Dave Leroy
09-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Grasshopper is definitely gone. A nice and clear behavior shot. Not much to be done about the leaf but you might consider a crop to move off center. An interesting looking wasp and one I have not seen before.

Dave Johnson
09-04-2012, 04:36 AM
Great action captured here Allen! Love the wasps green eyes and how it's straddling the victim. The image doesn't look over flashed but the grasshopper does have some bright highlight areas which might look better if toned down a touch. A hefty slice off the right hand side and some added to the left should move the action off centre. A cool image for sure. TFS.

denise ippolito
09-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi Allen, I think you did a great job finding this one and capturing a sharp image of it. I think Dave makes a good suggestion regarding moving it out of the center. The image appears a little over flashed to me, but keep in mind I use very little flash if any.:S3:

Roman Kurywczak
09-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Hey Allen,
Great behaviour that we seldom see! In the future, you need to push the 7D to better balance the flash. With flash, you have to try and balance as much natural light as you can......so judging your specs.....going to ISO 640 or 800 and using NR.........would have given you one more stop. With flash....no need for 1/250 sec.!!! With decent stability 1/100 down to 1/60 while hand holding is possible! A flash powered down will do the motion freeze for you! Multiple flashes at 1/32 or 1/64 power freeze water drops colliding......so no problem on bugs! Taking them off center is the next big thing! That is why I recommend the MT24 Twin lights......yes expensive......but makes hand holding macro a breeze! Just some food for thought to a highly unusual image!