PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Sunset

Morkel Erasmus
09-02-2012, 05:48 PM
So, I promised Andreas an "in-colour" post for my next one. :e3

I'd love your feedback on this one...this is a double RAW process to get the desired dynamic range. No real plan for anything commercially with this one, just something I saw in the field, shot handheld and tried to convey the mood of what I was trying to capture. Crop might be a bit awkward?

Photo created at sunset in the northern Kruger National Park last year (Shingwedzi camp area) :t3

Techs:
Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR-II @ 70mm
f5.6 @ 1/400 SS @ ISO-400
full frame with slight crop from bottom and left

Ken Watkins
09-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Morkel,

I find this to be interesting, but for me the inclusion of the sun and OOF Buffalo does not really work. I believe that the subject was the group nearest the camera as they are in wonderful light!

I think that if you had limited the image to a vertical capture of the front group it would have been truly magical.

But hindsight is not very helpful so how about a different crop?

Andreas Liedmann
09-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Hi Morkel,
hey back to color , just love it.
Lovely colors here with some soft light. you handled the light situation and processing like i think you are able to , just good !!
Maybe a bit more sharpening ,just my taste, to the front animal.
Sweet lined up herd from right to left in the BG gives the image some really good depth.
The cut off buffalo on RHS is not ideal, but think with this kind of herd shots , always difficult to find a starting point and an end point , right ?
I would reduce the blues in the horns a tad, if it was mine.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Lovely colors here with some soft light. you handled the light situation and processing like i think you are able to , just good !!

Hi Morkel, works for me, all for the above reasons. Agree on the reduction in the blues, like it as presented. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
09-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys.
Peter - I had to do some heavy shadow recovery on the double-RAW-process, so yeah, I should have run some NR on the BG parts :e3 you caught me :w3

Rachel Hollander
09-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Morkel - not too sure how I feel about this one. I like the sun in the ulc juxtaposed with the buffs in the lrc just feel that the buff in the lrc is too close. I agree on reducing the blues.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
09-05-2012, 07:59 PM
I like this image as presented, Morkel. Agree on a slight cast. The way you have placed the buffalo in the bottom right makes for a strong comp.

Morkel Erasmus
09-06-2012, 05:04 AM
Thanks for your thoughts Rachel and Marina. Will adjust the blues, but probably won't repost here :tinysmile_shy_t:

Steve Canuel
09-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Like the OP as posted. Nice line of buffs leading back into the opening in the bush. I'm not really seeing any noise, the rear buffs/surroundings look nicely soft/diffused to my eye.