PDA

View Full Version : Common darter

Jonathan Ashton
09-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Tripod Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro ISO 400 1/250 sec f8
Another shot taken by my garden pond. Usually the darters have not been obliging, coming to rest on sandstone rather than a perch where I can get a clearer view. As soon as I saw one land here I moved into position and waited for the return. I had previously double checked my camera settings because the programme ring can easily get knocked and you can find yourself in the wrong programme, it was just as well because it stayed just for a couple of frames and did not return to this perch again, it is the seed pod of a flag iris.
All C&C welcome.

Stu Bowie
09-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi Jon, looks like your patience paid off. I like the head on capture, 'eye' contact, and that both wings are fully horizontal. I appreciate with macro, that DOF, or lack off is a fine line. Getting the front wings in full focus would have been first prize. :w3

LindaHarden
09-03-2012, 12:42 PM
I like the way the image is balanced and the head-on view. I agree with stuart that just a little more DOF would be superb.... but it is a very nice photo as is.

John Chardine
09-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I love head-on views like this and the wings are exquisite. Strange but I'm seeing some banding in the beautiful BG.

Allen Sparks
09-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi Jonathan, Nice head on view and I also like the perch. Great BG. The side light causing just one catch light on top seems a little distracting to me but overall this is very well done.

Dave Leroy
09-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Very nice head on view. DoF looks not too bad for the head and front wings although more would have been great.
I also seem some marking on right side below the wings.

Jonathan Ashton
09-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Thanks very much for your C&C everyone, I always appreciate your advice. Regarding this banding, I cant' see it - probably my old eyes!! I have not processed the image any differently to my normal routine. I do see a slight variation in colour where there is very OOF vegetation but I have not been monkeying around at all. The banding I think(?) is usually associated with compression or possibly it is seen in 8 bit conversions but this is 16 bit - any further comments would be appreciated.