PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Semipalmated Sandpiper.

Karl Egressy
09-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Let's give it another go. Semipalmated sandpiper at least I believe it is. Stubby short blunt straight black bill, black legs.
Based on the pattern and coloration it is a first year bird in first basic plumage.
Please correct me if I'm wrong with the ID.
Learning especially Gulls, Fall Warblers, and Fall Shorebirds is a lifelong fun.
I have a whole library of Bird Guide Books a few on Shorebirds, but I ordered Arthur Morris's book on Shorebirds Yesterday.
It should be a good one, looking forward to getting it.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 1D MIV
Canon 500 f4.0 L IS + 1.4x
Manual Setting
F 7.1
1/1600 s
ISO 400
Fill flash at -2.3

Alan Murphy
09-02-2012, 12:03 PM
A stunning shot of this guy Karl.

Melissa Groo
09-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Sweet, simple and elegant, Karl. Great detail, exposure, and I like that shadow.

Simon Wantling
09-02-2012, 12:55 PM
A beautiful shot Karl. Cracking detail and I also like the shadow in the water.

Stu Bowie
09-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi Karl, nice and sharp, and the colours pop nicely against the water BG. I like how we can see the mud on the legs. Comp wise, I would take a bit off the left.

Ofer Levy
09-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Sweet shot Karl! SHarp with awesome detail and eye contact.
Pleased you didn't selectively brighten the iris ("doctored") it as was done in here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/102452-Semipalmated-Sandpiper
I wish all the people who commented on this matter will have a closer look and see how dark the eye of this species really is even in very good light and exposure control.

Arthur Morris
09-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Let's give it another go. Semipalmated sandpiper at least I believe it is. Stubby short blunt straight black bill, black legs. Based on the pattern and coloration it is a first year bird in first basic plumage. Please correct me if I'm wrong with the ID.

Hey Karl, You are right on the ID. What makes you think it is in first basic (first winter) plumage?

It is a loverly bird and a lovely image but there is to much negative space (thus the repost). Also, you have included too much of the reflection. Both for me :). I love the perfect, alert, field guide pose with a perfect head angle to go with it. For the repost I pulled down the curve just a bit.

Arthur Morris
09-02-2012, 04:44 PM
ps; love the inclusion of the slightly off light angle shadow.

Karl Egressy
09-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Hey Karl, You are right on the ID. What makes you think it is in first basic (first winter) plumage?

It is a loverly bird and a lovely image but there is to much negative space (thus the repost). Also, you have included too much of the reflection. Both for me :). I love the perfect, alert, field guide pose with a perfect head angle to go with it. For the repost I pulled down the curve just a bit.

Thanks Artie. The repost looks better, takes care of the neagative space and reflection.
I might not have used the right word.
I meant to say that it was a juvenile, or first year individual.
Adults this time of the year look more grayish and the feathers look more worn an more uniformly coloured.
This guy has a "fresh" appearance and the primary and madian converts have this brightly coloured edge.

Arthur Morris
09-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks Artie. The repost looks better, takes care of the neagative space and reflection. I might not have used the right word. I meant to say that it was a juvenile, or first year individual.
Adults this time of the year look more grayish and the feathers look more worn an more uniformly coloured. This guy has a "fresh" appearance and the primary and madian converts have this brightly coloured edge.

YAW. Yes, the wrong word. First winter or first basic shorebirds and gulls all have a grey saddle on the back. This bird does not. It is a moderately worn juvenile, actually, a quite brightly colored and beautiful one. Once you get the book--thanks for your purchase BTW, it will all become very clear.

Ofer Levy
09-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't feel Artie's crop suggestion is improving the already very nice composition in the original post.
Here is another option which is much closer to the original but with slightly less at the top and bottom and some more on the right.

Sanjeevprakash
09-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Great hot of the Sandpiper,Karl.Pretty Sharp and clean BG too.Details on the bird are well exposed.Both the Re-post by Artie and Ofer looks well too.TFS

Ken Watkins
09-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Great image which I believe could be cropped in many ways as the above re-posts prove, I like them all

Frank Schauf
09-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Excellent pose and details, Karl.

Shawn Zierman
09-03-2012, 03:31 AM
This is a very nice shorebird image Karl. Love the perfect pose of the bird and the
inclusion of the shadow...sweet! I actually prefer your OP vs the two reposts offered
thus far. My mind's eye liked the negative space, and balance of subject, partial reflection,
and shadow. Actually I think it's because of the size of the subject and shadow, that showing
as much of the reflection as you did in OP, is what made it visually balanced for me.

Karl Egressy
09-03-2012, 04:24 AM
I don't feel Artie's crop suggestion is improving the already very nice composition in the original post.
Here is another option which is much closer to the original but with slightly less at the top and bottom and some more on the right.
Thanks Ofer. I like this repost too. As Ken said all three has some positive to going for.
I usually use 7x5" cut as it is one of the standard frame sizes.
I also use 12x8" as an other standard frame size.