PDA

View Full Version : Hantam Quiver tree night scape.

Mark Wiseman
09-02-2012, 04:21 AM
I have recently returned from a visit to South Africa. My aim was to take night scapes and one of the best places to take them is in areas with very little light pollution is found. In South Africa there are numerous places where one can go and include an area where the SALT array has been approved and located. This region neighbours it, but light pollution from a small town 25km's away still has an influence due to a large red bush tee processing factory. I used a Petzl Pica 3 to highlight the quiver tree's and the image was processed in ACR and CS5. Morkel has mentioned the colour setting in ACR and it is something to look at as the colour temp of this image was set at 4000K.
Camera details:
Nikon D4
Nikkor AF/S 14-24mm f2.8ED G lens.
S/S: 25 sec
Aperture: f2.8
ISO: 3200
All comments welcome.

Roman Kurywczak
09-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Hey Mark,
You have captured the night sky very well. The light painting is a bit uneven but works well. If you get another opportunity at this location.......try to time it with 1/4 moon (visible) or less. You will be able to maintain the milky way and stars and the moon will do the painting for you!

Robert Amoruso
09-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Mark,

I would like to see this sky with the trees in complete silhouette. IF you got closer to the trees and shot up to distinguish the tree tops from the hills in silhouette, I think that would look awesome.

Mark Wiseman
09-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks Roman and Robert for your comments. Robert, I do have images like that that I need to process, so once processed, I will add to the forum for comments. I also took a number during the blue light hours. Roman, next time I won't use direct light, but reflect off the back of my hand to allow for more uniform light.
Best wishes and with many thanks,
Mark.

dankearl
09-02-2012, 08:22 PM
I think the lighting is very effective and the sky is killer.

Morkel Erasmus
09-04-2012, 03:37 PM
I really need to make a plan to visit this spot Mark! Nice exposure on the sky...as you could have guessed I would have liked a more even spread of light in the FG, and you will do good to bounce if off your hand next time (I do that all the time). Looking forward to your variations on this place - day and night - here on BPN :bg3:

Rachel Hollander
09-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi Mark - I like the way the Milky Way comes through. I tried some night sky images on my recent trip too. I wound up preferring the ones without light painting. Now, I'll have to post one.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew Aveley
09-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi Mark , different composition but effective. I am not a fan of the uneven painting and lean more to silhouettes unless shooting more with a brighter moon :) Will look at the other images with intrest TFS

Mark Wiseman
09-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Hi All,
Thank you Andrew, Dan, Rachel and Morkel for your comments. Light painting is trial and error and next time I am sure it will improve.
Thanks for your help and best wishes,
Mark.