PDA

View Full Version : Preening Oyster Catcher

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-01-2012, 07:49 PM
I am not sure about this one? Although I love the colors, the wet look and the preening feathers part, I'm stumped on the crop. I could use some ideas. The original has no more room on the bottom but plenty top bottom and sides because I planned on it being tight but not sure if this works. I tried going above the leg "stump" but it wasn't working. Any ideas?
Canon 40D 300 mm 2.8L with 1.4X
ISO 400 7.1@1/1600

Miguel Palaviccini
09-01-2012, 07:54 PM
I think this is a wonderful capture. The colors and detail really help the image 'pop'. I would add a bit of room to the left. I don't think cropping the legs was bad, but nipping just a portion of the feathers isn't great.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-01-2012, 09:26 PM
I think this is a wonderful capture. The colors and detail really help the image 'pop'. I would add a bit of room to the left. I don't think cropping the legs was bad, but nipping just a portion of the feathers isn't great.
Thanks Miguel, yes i agree and after looking at my image again it looked too dark and shadowed so I worked a bit more then did a little PS magic by stealing the bottom of the previous frame before the wing dropped out of the frame.

christopher galeski
09-02-2012, 02:41 AM
like the repost best,nice bit of PS MAGIC,like the darker color in the first post,nice detail,like the pose.well done.

Ken Watkins
09-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Cheryl,
The re-post is truly remarkable wish I knew how to seal bits from another image.

Detail and pose is perfect for me.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Thank you

Miguel Palaviccini
09-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Cheryl, the repost is much much better! Great stuff!

Bill Dix
09-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Your PS magic worked wonders to include the missing feather. Repost is great, although I also prefer the slightly darker OP for coloration. Love the feather in the marvelous OC bill.

Andrew Merwin
09-02-2012, 10:48 AM
I also prefer the RP. Good exposure.

Karl Egressy
09-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I like the original as well but the repost is a big improvement, Cheryl.

Melissa Groo
09-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Beautiful details and preening moment, Cheryl. Personally I don't like the crop as is though, I find that it feels awkward to have the whole body with no legs. I took it into Lightroom and found a couple crops I liked a lot better. I tried both a horizontal, and also a vertical, really focusing in on the head, the bill, the white feathers. I think it's worth playing with. Love the light, the details, the background colors.

Frank Schauf
09-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Beautiful shot, Cheryl. Lovely light, eye contact and low angle here.

Stu Bowie
09-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi Cheryl, I like the close up detail, and good choice of aperture to have good DOF. Well exposed on a difficult subject, sharp, and well done on your repost. I would still add a bit more right, and even more on the left. :w3

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Beautiful details and preening moment, Cheryl. Personally I don't like the crop as is though, I find that it feels awkward to have the whole body with no legs. I took it into Lightroom and found a couple crops I liked a lot better. I tried both a horizontal, and also a vertical, really focusing in on the head, the bill, the white feathers. I think it's worth playing with. Love the light, the details, the background colors.
Hey girl Thanks for the input. Would love to see your crops.

Robert Holguin
09-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Excellent shot. I really like the preening pose, excellent detail, and I like the repost better.
Well done.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-03-2012, 08:06 PM
OK I went back to the start Her's what I got. Thanks everyone

Ken Watkins
09-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Cheryl,
The above re-post is for me excellent:cheers::cheers:

Melissa Groo
09-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Much prefer the vertical. Nice job.