PDA

View Full Version : Water Lily

Jerry amEnde
08-31-2012, 06:10 PM
In the original, I have the full flower, but it seems to me that the real drama is to crop to just show the stamen.

Panasonic GH2; Lumix G Vario 100-300mm
Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, PA; August 17, 2012

...Jerry

denise ippolito
09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Jerry, I love shooting at Longwood Gardens, nice details and your choice of comps works well in my opinion. I might tone down the very few bright yellows if it were mine.:S3:

Marina Scarr
09-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Nice composition and stunning colors. Agree with Denise that some of the yellows are a tad hot.

Jerry amEnde
09-01-2012, 03:31 PM
I agree, I'm losing some detail with the hot yellow. Below, I've toned this down and there is more detail. However, it seems like I'm losing some drama / fire in the image. Maybe if I would have reduced the exposure in the original capture ???

Thanks for the suggestions!
...Jerry

Dave Leroy
09-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Certainly did catch the fire and drama in this flower. The photo has a pretty broad range of tones and it is hard at times to capture all of them. If the original exposure had been a bit less then some of the drama would have been lost. The repost has brought more detail in the few spots being mentioned and still looks very good to me.

LindaHarden
09-01-2012, 05:01 PM
I like both the original and the slightly toned down image... Hard to know which I like best. I think you selected an excellent composition for the image.

Jerry amEnde
09-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Oh, I might say I tried toning down the yellows even more, but couldn't get much more detail and the yellows looked very washed out.

Thanks ot everyone for their suggestions!
...Jerry

Arthur Morris
09-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I like the glowing YELLOWs in the ORIG but would suggest that you went a bit wider on the bottomto avoid the yellow V touching the frame edge in the center of the frame along the bottom.

Jerry amEnde
09-03-2012, 03:20 AM
I like the glowing YELLOWs in the ORIG but would suggest that you went a bit wider on the bottomto avoid the yellow V touching the frame edge in the center of the frame along the bottom.

Great observation! That's the value of getting other's opinions.

...Jerry

Jerry amEnde
02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
fwiw, this shot won an "Honor Ribbon" in the Color Projected Images of the Wilmington International Exhiibition of Photography. http://www.wiep-photo.org/Exhibition/Results.aspx

Thanks to all for the suggestions,
...Jerry