PDA

View Full Version : Black-Bellied Whistling Duck

Josh Clark
08-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Another Black-Bellied Whistling Duck that I photographed in Ocala Florida earlier this month. Given the conditions (back and foreground) I was forced into doing a lot of portrait shots. Which worked out well in the end as I got some fairly creative shots of these guys. I liked this one because I got a nice head on curious stare of this particular one. Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend.

Black-Bellied Whistling Duck
Canon 7d, 1/125sec @ f/6.3, ISO 400, 500mm f/4L, manual fill flash used.

Karl Egressy
08-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Excellent portrait shot with great colours and excellent details in the bird, Josh. I like the inquisitive look.

Richard Unsworth
08-31-2012, 02:02 PM
That look is great Josh and the shot is well composed,BG nice and clear and details fine.
tfs
PS I thought BBWD'S were really shy and hard to get close to?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Josh, very interesting indeed. loved it. loved the composition, BG, colors, details. BBWD are very hard to get close to here.

You were probably not prepared for a head on shot. Stopping down to f/8 would have probably got the nostrils a bit sharper( and extra round of USM on that part of the bill might help a lot). And I am guessing you were so close that the BG would have remained smooth.

Robert Holguin
08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Another beautiful shot. I really like the head angle on this one, excellent background, and teriffic comp.
Well done.

Jack Breakfast
08-31-2012, 03:29 PM
A special look at a special duck! I've never seen one of these before! That's some fine duck! I love what you've done here...great colors and composition and details...both eyes looking at me...

Miguel Palaviccini
08-31-2012, 03:41 PM
what a priceless expression you captured! Love the detail and color throughout. Looking forward to seeing some more from the series.

Richard Mc Donald
08-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Nice one Josh, a slight head turn to the left (ours) and the whole shot would have looked goofy.

Richard

Cheryl Arena Molennor
08-31-2012, 08:59 PM
I like this one too

Sanjeevprakash
08-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Nice Portrait shot of the Duck,Josh.Love the bewildered expression on its face.Nice color of the BG too.Well done

arash_hazeghi
09-01-2012, 01:52 AM
very interesting headshot! well done

Daniel Cadieux
09-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Love those bulging eyes. Awesome image Josh...you sure made the best of the situation you had with this species! Sharpness, colours, BG...all great stuff.

Marina Scarr
09-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Another different perspective which I'm really enjoying. I really like the composition that you used for this one coming out of the left bottom corner. Gorgeous BG and I really like the way the bird is looking directly at the viewer.