PDA

View Full Version : White Rhino on the Move

Rachel Hollander
08-31-2012, 08:10 AM
We were watching a herd of elephants on my recent trip when some in the back started to run and then the whole herd was on the move. The cause was this white rhino slowly ambling through the area.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 165mm
1/320
f9
ISO 800
EC +.67
HH from safari vehicle, ff, levels, curves, selective dodging and burning and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
08-31-2012, 08:26 AM
Hi Rachel, overall it looks 'light/bright', I might look at one of your masks for this to tone it all down a wee bit, then it comes together nicely IMHO. I also feel it's a little big in frame for my tastes.

TFS
Steve :w3

Rachel Hollander
08-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks Steve, it didn't look so light until I posted it. Here it is with a 35% opacity luminosity mask.

Ken Watkins
08-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Rachel,

For my taste I would go even darker. Just noticed that you were at +0.67, was there any particular reason for this?

Is this cropped, if not it is a pity that you could not have gone wider for a little more "walk into" room.

The colours look slightly strange, but who knows what mud it could have been in.:w3

Any ideas as to what has caused the dark patch above the left front leg?

Andrew Merwin
08-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Rachel, although I have never seen a white rhino, my initial reaction when I saw the image was that it was too light & too tight in the frame. If you have it, I would loosen the crop. Maybe more saturation is called for. WDYT?

I like the raised LF leg & the sense of movement that this imparts. It is a neat looking beast & it is good to see that it has its horn. TFS.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-31-2012, 02:17 PM
I like the RP more. IMHO I really like the image. It has a 3D effect as if the rhino is walking out of the frame! Very nice.
Cheers
Sanjeev

Tom Graham
08-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Very nice.
I've found it hard to exactly judge brightness in Photoshop as to how it will look on a web browser. If I want to be exact, I load the PS image (after resizing etc) on to another web site (pbase, smugmug, etc) and then view it with my web browser. If someone knows how to avoid all of this loading/downloading, checking back and forth, I'd like to know how. I have tried comparing the PS image with the same image on my browser and then adjusting the PS "Proff Setup" to look like the browser image. And this helps. Of course there is still the problem of you and I have different monitors.
Tom

Andreas Liedmann
09-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi Rachel,
not to tight for my taste , like the walking through pose of the rhino.
The RP is an improvement , but could go even a bit darker on the grass for me.
Colors , contrast and sharpness work well , so the exposure.

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
09-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Nice-looking rhino here. Rachel. Nice details and contrast on him.
I agree that it could go even a tad darker than your RP. I don't mind them being "full in the frame", but feel it would have served the image better if he was static/standing...in this case (ie moving forward) I would prefer a touch more space all around and particularly in front and bottom RHS.

Love that you can see how the branches/thorns scratch him in length as he brushes past them (on the skin).

Rachel Hollander
09-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Thanks all. As I said in the op, this is ff. I purposely went tight in camera to accentuate the size of the rhino and the detail. I do have others with a bit more room and will probably post one of them in the future.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
09-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Rachel,

Look forward to seeing some more

Andrew McLachlan
09-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi Rachel, this is a beautiful looking animal with great details. I agree on going a little bit darker yet. I don't mind the tighter composition....did you shoot any wider photos for comparison? Nice work!

Rachel Hollander
09-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks Andrew. I do have some wider shots and I'll post one soon.