PDA

View Full Version : Savute Stride

Morkel Erasmus
08-31-2012, 07:05 AM
Continuing my "B&W-and-toned-series" - a large elephant bull on the floodplains of Savute in Chobe National Park, Botswana.
Andreas - my next post will be in colour, I promise :w3

I quite liked this...:tinysmile_shy_t:

Techs:
Canon 40D with 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM @ 78mm
f4.0 @ 1/800 SS @ ISO-400

Rachel Hollander
08-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Morkel - this could be my favorite of the series. The conversion works really well with the interplay of light and shadows and the tree on the lhs balances the image nicely. I am presuming that the noise in the bg near the top is purposeful given the settings. Would like to see one without for comparison.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
08-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Morkel,

This I think works very well indeed, you have caught the Elephant stride perfectly. Too my mind the grain (noise) in the BG contributes to olde worlde feel.

Steve Kaluski
08-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Hi Morkel, I like the tones & contrast in this one, especially having the slightly darker vignette at the top of the image.

I think the slight head turn to camera and the curl of the tip of the trunk all works well, likewise having the dead tree in the BKG, gives the image realism. Truck loads of detail in this 'big old unit' too

The only things I personally might look at, are the two branches hitting the tusk, the small branch coming into the image on the trim RHS and toning down the lighter tree at the rear of the elephant, as I doubt it's what I think it is. :bg3: There also appears to be a halo on the edge of the ear, likewise on the rear of the elephant, just my eyes, no gimmicks.

This is a nice series, thanks.

Steve

Andreas Liedmann
08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Morkel,
like this one very much.Excellent job on PP.The whole thing is balanced so nicely , only as Steve said the two branches crossing the tusks are a very little nit.
Great detail in this old bugger!!!:5

What did you use for conversion, Silver efex or just plain PS work, would be interesting to know.By far the best one i have seen from you in B/W.Maybe you can take me to the color less side , by this kind of quality.

Cheers Andreas

Andrew Merwin
08-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Morkel, I am enjoying your B&W images. Steve has good eyes re. the branches. & I agree with him. I really like how the B&W allows me to concentrate on the texture of the elephant's hide.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Superb Image Morkel, The trees add a lot to the image and the detail is awesome.
Sanjeev

Markus Jais
08-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Fantastic shot and perfect in B&W. The tree is a perfect match for the elephant. And I like the head angle of the elephant.

Markus

Dumay de Boulle
09-01-2012, 06:17 AM
Very nice image with a lot of appeal in the B&W. Great comp mate!

Marina Scarr
09-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Tones on this one work very well, maybe the best so far. Would also like to see a version without the NR. Could you explain to us your thoughts behind the noise please?

Morkel Erasmus
09-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Thanks a lot folks. Glad you like it.

Steve - perhaps sloppy blending on my part as I converted 2 layers :e3
Andreas - Silver Efex 2 with more toning in PS (dodge/burn)
Marina - it's not noise per se, it's film grain simulated by Silver Efex...for the old school feel :bg3:

Hilary Hann
09-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Nice work Morkel, nothing to add to all the c&c already provided.

Andrew McLachlan
09-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi Morkel, beautifully converted to B&W with a nice stride by the elephant and I love the old dead tree on the left side. Nice one!