PDA

View Full Version : African Spoonbill HK

Isak Pretorius
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I was hoping for some overcast conditions to try my hand at these high key type shots. Any comments welcome!

1dmk3
600f4 + 1.4tc
1/2000
iso1000
f7.1
manual mode

African Spoonbill, South Africa

Oscar Zangroniz
04-21-2008, 02:18 PM
This is a very nice shot. Congratulations

Lance Warley
04-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Ditto on Oscar's comment. Very dramatic.

It may just be my display, and if so please disreagard these two suggestions, but the photo might benefit from running noise reduction on the bg and increasing the sat of the bird just a little bit.

Beautiful photo.

Arthur Morris
04-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Oscar, Please tell us why you like it. (See the top sticky.)

I love the wings up pose and the sharpness. Wish for a bit more detail in the brightest whites. Agree with Lance's SAT increase suggestion.

Oscar Zangroniz
04-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Thank you Art for pointing me to look at the top sticky.
What I most like is the wing position, the angle of the bird, and the sharpness on the eye. I can not comment on the subject of making corrections on cs3 yet, because as you know I just recently started working with digital Basics file and I'm still learning.
Thank you for all your help yesterday, and enjoyed meeting you.
Regards,

Juan Aragonés
04-21-2008, 03:36 PM
This is fantastic. Love the soft light of the scene and the overall white colour of the BG and the plumage.. it seems like a painting! I am not sure about the composition but I think that some more room at the bottom would improve the result. Thanks for sharing :)

Philip Lombard
04-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I like the sharpness of the head and how it blendsinti the BG.

Freddy Franzella
04-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Cool looking image!

Grady Weed
04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I have always been a big fan of white on white, properly done. I like the drooping look to this bird. It is as he is hanging by his wings in mid-air or running out of gas. The whites on the curved portion of the wings has some slight shadows, which I love! I especially like images with feeling or facial emotion. I can't tell you how to improve on anything in this one here, just what I liked about it. Thanks for sharing this one with us.

Ed Cordes
04-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I like the wing position and the eye contact. I do wish for a bit more separation between the beak and the BG. Perhaps a bit more saturation as suggested, or a smidgen more contrast? - not much.

Isak Pretorius
04-22-2008, 01:36 AM
Thank you for all the kind comments/suggestions! I appreciate the looking and commenting!