PDA

View Full Version : "A real slow drag", or "The busy lives of r.n. grebes"

Jack Breakfast
08-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Folks, this particular red-necked grebe emerged quite suddenly, and I was NOT ready for this shot. I would have liked to include more of the dragged-along vegetation on the left, but instead we have this...
Taken with the Canon 7D and 70-300L at 300mm. iso400, 1/1000, 5.6. This is approximately 85% of the original...
Many thanks for your input...

Robert Holguin
08-31-2012, 01:41 AM
Very nice shot. Great behavirol shot. I agree with on the vegetation, but I would love to have a shot like this in my files.
Well done.

Satish Ranadive
08-31-2012, 01:54 AM
Magnificent image of greb with vegetation.Lovely composition.Love the blue water ripples around greb and green water giving 3D effect.
As usual nice details and sharpness.

Regards,
Satish.

christopher galeski
08-31-2012, 03:07 AM
nice shot,agre on more veg in the shot,love the color of the water.thanks.

Ofer Levy
08-31-2012, 05:30 AM
Very good behaviour shot! As with all your recent shots of this sepcies - shooting angle is a bit high but the behaviour and techs in here are awesome.

Jack Breakfast
08-31-2012, 06:40 AM
Thanks folks. The two other grebe shots I posted recently where from a different locale. In that case, getting lower would have been impossible. In this case, however, I could have gotten a little lower. Forsooth, I would have preferred it, but the grebe emerged from the water just as I was arriving at the grebesite. I only had a few seconds to react, to go snap-snap-snap! I did manage this image, luckily. And indeed I do have some lower-angle shots, but they aren't as behaviorally exciting. To conclude: I have learned from this forum (thank you!) that an eye-level shot is usually the better shot. Not always, but usually. Moreover: if you have a good and willing subject, try ALL the angles. Yes yes, bird photography 101, I suppose...

Randy Stout
08-31-2012, 07:09 AM
Jack:

NIce colors, action, vegetation. Yes, more on left would be nice, but you did exactly the right thing, push the button. Because of his head angle, I think you could crop in from the right a bit as well as up from the bottom.

Cheers

Randy

Karl Egressy
08-31-2012, 07:39 AM
Nice behaviour shot, Jack.

Melissa Groo
08-31-2012, 08:16 AM
Really neat shot, Jack, I like it a lot. The tense line of the vegetation, the look towards you, your exposure and sharpness, all make for a winning image.

Michael Zajac
08-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Nice behavior shot.

Daniel Cadieux
08-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Very cool! I like this alot. Sharpness, exposure, comp...all look good to me. Too bad the light didn't come form the left instead of the right, but I still like the overall effect you got here. Pushing the shutter button as you did was the right thing to do. Are these guys pretty tolerant of human presence?

Jack Breakfast
08-31-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks Daniel...this was my first shot of the session, and probably the best. The other shots, although taken at a lower angle and more thoughtfully composed, lacked a certain va-va-voom! I've been mixing my grebe shots on the old forum, which is to say that I photographed grebes at 3 different locales this season. I regret any confusion this may have caused! As for this picture, yes indeed, this grebe is one-half of a grebe couple who were more than tolerant. For reasons known only to the grebes, this particular couple built their nest at close proximity to a pedestrian bridge in a fairly busy public park. They made 3 different attempts. There was courting and nestbuilding and mating and hunting and gathering and egglaying and egg adjustment galore. Alas; in the end the eggs went unhatched, no zebra babies were born, and the grebes moved on with their lives...

Stu Bowie
08-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi Jack, you have nailed the sharpness and detail in this, and another well captured behavioural shot. I like the texture of the water, and wish you had more space on the left. :w3

Andrew Merwin
08-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Well done Jack. I like it. I also agree with the above comments. I think it needs CW rotation.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Jack, lots of good advice above. light was not your side but well done in the conditions. Excellent moment and a beautiful bird.

laurie golden
08-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Jack,

Just wanted to add my very very nice photo to all of the above comments. Is this another nest?

Cheryl Arena Molennor
08-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Cool behavior shot. So cool to watch too

Jack Breakfast
08-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Obviously I would like to offer my sincere thanks to you fine folks for your comments and suggestions...
Laurie, this was another nest that didn't produce any hatchlings, I'm afraid.

arash_hazeghi
09-01-2012, 12:03 AM
great I like how he is pulling the nesting material!