PDA

View Full Version : Belted Kingfisher.

Karl Egressy
08-30-2012, 04:01 PM
When I came home and was processing the picture, I realized that I had seen this perch before.
As it happened, I took a picture of a Belted Kingfisher two years ago, on this very perch.
The bird was still in first basic plumage.
I was in a blnid that I set up in the dark and the bird landed after almost two hours.
Two years later, I was standing in the open, no blind and he ( I think the same bird) landed on the same perch on the same spot.
I find it truly amazing!
This time the sun was already behind the hiil and the tall trees on it, leaving this corner fairly dark.
Should I warm it up?
Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/250
Av 7.1
ISO 800
EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Flash Exposure Compensation -2 1/3
Tripod, Wimberley arm, BB.

Miguel Palaviccini
08-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Hey Karl, looks great but I am getting a bit of a blue cast. I would warm it up a tad as you suggested.

laurie golden
08-30-2012, 05:24 PM
He is a beautiful bird, pose and background. So nice that you got close to a belted.

Karl Egressy
08-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Thank you Miguel and Laurie.
Here is the warmer version. I opened the processed file in Lightroom 4 and warmed it a bit.

Randy Stout
08-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Karl:

The fluffed up plumage here is really great, esp. that spikey do.

I prefer the slightly warmer version on my monitor. The delicate spider web in the crotch is nice.

Birds angle, open bill, exposure and sharpness all nice.

Good use of flash, subtle. Because there is a pretty good natural catchlight, I might consider cloning out the pinpoint flash catchlight.

Hope to someday get this close. About 50 yds is the usual in my area.

Cheers

Randy

laurie golden
08-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Karl,

I like the warmer version better.

Melissa Groo
08-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Fantastic story and great portrait, Karl. I definitely prefer the warmer version. I really like your comp, the pose of the kingfisher, and the open bill.

Jack Breakfast
08-30-2012, 08:16 PM
I like everything about this, Karl, and of course I also prefer version #2...

Satish Ranadive
08-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Excellent image.I like the warmer version.I like the perch and BG.
Love the pose with nice spikey do and open beak.

Regards,
Satish.

Robert Holguin
08-31-2012, 01:26 AM
Teriffic shot Karl. Love the lifted crest, excellent details, great perch, and I much prefer the repost.
Well done.

christopher galeski
08-31-2012, 02:52 AM
nice image Carl,like the repost,nice BG,sharp with nice detail.

Michael Zajac
08-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Karl. I like the repost. Excellent sharpness and composition.

Daniel Cadieux
08-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Excellent Karl! I love the erect crest. Great techs, comp, colours (especially the repost). Nice perch, glad you got to "re-use "it. I do wish the faint whitish circles in the BG were not there, but I'd oh so love to have this in my files...like Randy, 50 yards is the best I can come up to these guys without spending hours in a blind.

Stu Bowie
08-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi Karl, super alert pose, and you have brought out the feather detail so well. The raised crest adds that something extra, and I like the colour this fellow has. A little similar to our giant kingfisher, and Im glad you got your shot.

Josh Clark
08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Great story behind your shot Karl and equally great photo of a very tough bird to photograph. I like the repost better as well with the warmer colors. Like the spunky look to this guy too!

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Karl, I personally prefer warmer images...no wonder I like the repost more. excellent details and flash work. I am with randy on removing the pin point catchlight. Very nice image design. Well done. KFs are tough.

Melvin Grey
09-01-2012, 06:01 AM
It has all been said Karl - very nice story as well. There is generally no chance of getting this close to our single species here in the UK, without a hide.