PDA

View Full Version : LA area

Joerg Rockenberger
04-21-2008, 12:45 PM
I will be in LA for a conference the week of May 18 and I am considering spending Memorial Day weekend in the area. Of course, plenty of photographic opportunities are a must. I'd be particularly interested in getting up close to Black Skimmers. Any recommendations for the area are highly appreciated.

Big Thanks, JR

Steve Bein
04-29-2008, 11:26 AM
The place that worked for me was Bolsa Chica. I have not been there laterly, though.

William Malacarne
04-29-2008, 02:10 PM
The place that worked for me was Bolsa Chica. I have not been there laterly, though.

Another place close to Bolsa Chica is Newport Bay according to this info I found.....

http://www.fws.gov/bolsachica/BlackSkimmerprofile.htm

and here is another place down north San Diego.

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/wb/v27n03/p0164-p0167.pdf

Bill

Joerg Rockenberger
04-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I guess Bolsa Chica and Newport Bay are the best choices near LA.

Here in the SF Bay area we have a book called "Birding at the bottom of the bay" published by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society. It contains detailed descriptions and maps of trails and what birds to expect at various sites and seasons. Anyone know of something similar for the LA area, or at least part of it?

Thank you. JR

Jeff Wear
04-30-2008, 09:44 PM
I do not think so .If it is skimmers you are looking for the back bay is the place but very hard to get good angles there .The skimmers are not at bolsa yet

Brian Kersey
05-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Not true. I have been seeing Skimmers pretty consistently at Bolsa for about 2 weeks. There are only 3 or 4 that I see at a time but every weekend I have seen them

Joerg Rockenberger
05-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Brian: As I unfortunately won't have much time to explore the area would you mind outlining where at Bolsa you saw the Skimmers?

Jeff: I presume Back Bay is Newport, right? Is there a particular area where they gather?

Thx, JR

Jeff Wear
05-02-2008, 10:34 PM
I am going to bolsa sat [have not been for a while ] I will let you know .Back bay is newport and On the one way road there is about 50 and you have to look but you will find them .

Brian Kersey
05-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Brian: As I unfortunately won't have much time to explore the area would you mind outlining where at Bolsa you saw the Skimmers?

Jeff: I presume Back Bay is Newport, right? Is there a particular area where they gather?

Thx, JR

I just saw 4 today at about 5 o clock on the main bridge on PCH

Joerg Rockenberger
05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Thank you all for the comments! I had a great weekend at Bolsa Chica, Huntington Beach, and Upper Backbay, Newport Beach. Not only did I manage to get some close shots of Skimmers (e.g. http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12652) but I also got some first sights (e.g. Least Terns, Little Blue Heron, Leucistic Coot, and some UFBs), and in a few cases good pics. :)

As for Skimmers, both sites had plenty but mostly from a distance and/or just flying by from or to the nesting site. It was not until the last evening that I discovered a spot at Upper Backbay that allowed me to get low and close - well, sometimes depending on how close the Skimmers approached the shore.

Note, due to the rather unsettled weather this weekend in Southern California I stayed fairly close to the bridge at Bolsa Chica. It could very well be that there are other spots which are better for the Skimmers at BC.

Hope that helps future out-of-area visitors. Good luck! JR

Fabs Forns
05-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Looking forward to the images you got!!!

Brian Kersey
05-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Thank you all for the comments! I had a great weekend at Bolsa Chica, Huntington Beach, and Upper Backbay, Newport Beach. Not only did I manage to get some close shots of Skimmers (e.g. http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12652) but I also got some first sights (e.g. Least Terns, Little Blue Heron, Leucistic Coot, and some UFBs), and in a few cases good pics. :)

As for Skimmers, both sites had plenty but mostly from a distance and/or just flying by from or to the nesting site. It was not until the last evening that I discovered a spot at Upper Backbay that allowed me to get low and close - well, sometimes depending on how close the Skimmers approached the shore.

Note, due to the rather unsettled weather this weekend in Southern California I stayed fairly close to the bridge at Bolsa Chica. It could very well be that there are other spots which are better for the Skimmers at BC.

Hope that helps future out-of-area visitors. Good luck! JR

Where was the good spot that you got close to the birds at Backbay? Everytime I go there I don't have any luck.
Do you just up and back and back bay drive? where did you see the LBH?