PDA

View Full Version : African Buffalo

Andreas Liedmann
08-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Photographed this Buffalos in Hluhluwe in SA in 2006.
I think it is nice depth in this image by different positions of the animals.
Hope you like it.

Canon EOS 1D MK 2
EF 500 IS L
window bracket

F5 / 1/500sec / ISO 100

Processed in RPP + PS ; added canvas to RHS for comp,followed by cropping to FF

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
08-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Hi Andreas, a nice 'stock' shot of these guys, and where you don't have an issue of one being cut or clipped.

Firstly, I think this would work nicely, converted to the 'Morkel' tone. The reason I say that is there is some nice tones in the subjects and personally it would get away from the rather vivid green in the very back of the BKG. In colour I might just adjust the greens a fraction, but personal taste. I would look at the Levels histogram, as I feel you could just tweak it a bit more, plus I would consider applying a fraction more mid-tone too. Nice work on the added canvas, good detail & sharpness.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
08-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks Steve,
i think i am already on the border with the levels histogram, i tried to push it further already, and was not happy with the result.But will try again .
Do you mean the mid tones darker ? Think so.
Andreas

Steve Kaluski
08-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Just take a look & see, you will know where. Darker mid-tones yep, but not much, selectively applied. As I say, it's just a thought, if you don't like it leave it. :S3:

Rachel Hollander
08-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Andreas - it does have nice depth but I do find the vivid greens overwhelming the image and drawing attention away from the main subjects but then my personal taste tends to be towards less saturation. I also think a round of NR on the bg might help. Will be interested in seeing what you can do with the mid-tones. I do like the main subjects' angled pose and position in the frame.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
08-29-2012, 04:46 PM
RP with suggestions made by Mr Detail and Rachel
Improved !!

Andreas

Rachel Hollander
08-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Andreas - I agree- improved :cheers:

Hilary Hann
08-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Andreas, nice repost but not knowing what you do with your images I should mention that you have some distinct repetitive lines where you've extended the canvas which would be easy to get rid of. If you don't plan to sell the photo, then I wouldn't bother fixing them.

I love seeing the head of the ox pecker just appearing over the back of the centre buffalo.

Ken Watkins
08-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Nice work on the added canvas

Apart from the overly obvious repeat lines that Hilary and we all can see?

What is it with green?

As to the image itself, for Bufallo this is a remarkably "tidy" line up, the BG is a bit bothersome in terms of jaggedness, I would try to tone it down with a little blur

Jamie Douglas
08-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Hi Andreas, looks like folks have pointed you in the right direction with this image. My two cents would be to tone down the greens in the far BG. A little too vibrant at the moment IMO.

Interesting image though with lots of different poses.

Jamie

Steve Kaluski
08-30-2012, 04:08 AM
I think they have more character now Andreas, WDYT?

Andreas Liedmann
08-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks to all you viewers for stopping by and leave comment.

I am happy now as is with color and contrast, no need of changing that , at least for me.

Only thing i would still change , are the repeating parts on the canvas extension.But i do not sell my images (Hillary as i said before ), so i leave it.

Cheers Andreas

Marina Scarr
08-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Repost is an improvement of an already good capture. The depth is what I like the most. The repeating lines could be easily fixed with the patch tool. One minute tops and worth the fix IMHO>