PDA

View Full Version : Pileated woodpecker tips?

Randy Stout
04-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Good day all:

I have a nesting pair of Pileated Woodpeckers behind my house. The hole is at the top of a 50 ft. dead tree, in a deep ravine. I can get to the base of it, and have several possible spots on the hillside where I can get a better angle of inclination, at the sacrifice of total distance from the hole. Some of my possible shooting sites are pretty well covered, almost a natural blind, while several are more exposed.

I haven't imaged this bird before, and would love any tidbits of knowledge. I don't want to scare them off their nest. I will be working with 600mm effective focal length on a D300.

Thanks!

Randy

Alfred Forns
04-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Randy I got to photograph a pair locally They did not mind people at all We got close enough for head shots with a 600 and converter

After they start the routine would approach slowly and let them get used to you Will have many opportunities for flight Will be a treat !!!

Randy Stout
04-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks Al:

I was out tonight with the SB-800 and the better beamer, seeing how they responded to it. Didn't seem to even notice it!
I wish I could get in a bit closer, and still stay on a reasonably level plane. 600mm just isn't enough for my setup, but I am learning a lot about their habits.
Next year, more glass! I have read they stay in the same area for a number of years, so hopefully I will get a number of chances.

Thanks again Al.

Looking forward to next years Presidents day IPT. I was a bit spoiled by the Florida birds this March, it is a lot harder work in Michigan!

Randy

Charlie Woodrich
07-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Seems like they are real skidish or they totally ignore you. I've seen both. They are less likely to leave the nest once the chicks have hatched. So you may want to keep your presence at a minimum until that happens.