PDA

View Full Version : Egret and Catch (HELP PS!!!)

J van Noordwyk
08-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi everybody
I always find photographing white birds difficult and normally get blown out results.
This is one of my best off a white birdy. It was taken an hour after sun up in verry good light.
Love to get advice on camera settings for these tipe off birdy's
The image, is full frame and no space for canvis.
-Camera canon 1D mk4
-lens canon 500 f4
-SS 1/3200 sec
-AV f6.3
-ISO 8OO

Thanks
Johan.

arash_hazeghi
08-29-2012, 12:12 PM
sweet pose and the fish is a big plus. the wing position is excellent too and you got him against a nice BG. You need more space (you can create canvas using PS content aware fill) as the wing tips are too close to the border. I also see a yellowish cast on whites and the neck area is a bit hot.

As for exposure, your problem is AV mode. the meter is fooled by the BG and blows up the bird. The best method for exposing white birds is manual exposure. set your exposure for the whites in M mode and you will be set.

Martin Lord
08-29-2012, 01:29 PM
I'd like to second Arash. When shooting action or flying white bird on dark background, it is very hard to get away with Av and exposure compensation. The issue is that as the bird moves in the frame, going to center or away from it, getting bigger or smaller in the frame, the auto exposure changes by many stops. There is no time to review the histogram and tune the EV comp unless you are shooting a static image. Even if one gets the right initial exposure, as the action unfolds it is unlikely that the exposure will stay right.

You did not mention what you used for processing, but in any case I'd also recommend, if not done yet, to move to latest ACR or Lightroom. The tonal adjustment are much better and easier than in previous versions, especially at the extremes blacks and whites. There is a learning curse though as the tonal adjustment sliders have changed and the adjustment procedures must follow.

Great image, sweet pose with the fish. Details in the whites could probably be improved a little.

Hope this helps,

Miguel Palaviccini
08-29-2012, 03:45 PM
I agree with the guys above. I would use Manual exposure mode if the light isn't changing much. With constant light, Av mode will be fooled as the white bird flies through different backgrounds.

Also, what kind of egret is that? ... looks a bit like a very young Little Blue Heron (and I could be completely wrong on that).

Jonathan Ashton
08-29-2012, 04:07 PM
J, I agree with the previous comments, if you are unsure how to add canvas I would be happy to help. Exposing for the whites in Manual mode is good advice, the trouble is you need to be ready for the white bird in advance to ensure you have the correct setting.. As always the Histogram is very helpful and will give you an idea of what the exposure "should be". If the opportunity arises take images of the not so important ones just to gauge the exposure then set the camera to manual, alternatively a starting point might be in AV mode but at say -0.3 or 0.6 depending upon how big the bird is in the frame, then if the exposure is OK use this setting in Manual mode, hope this helps. I am sure there will be other suggestions, it will be interesting to see.... Also the new ACR is really good, I have just downloaded it, and I agree yet again with Martin - it does take some getting used to.

J van Noordwyk
08-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks Guys jour comments is verry helpfull and is much appreciated.
Regards
Johan.

Robert Holguin
08-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Very nice shot. I really like the wing position, love the fish in it's mouth, and I really like the dark blue water.
Well done.