PDA

View Full Version : Tower Grove Park

Jay Sheinfield
08-29-2012, 11:39 AM
I started with Simplify BZ, then a light layer of Adjust Small Details, Nik's Polaroid Transfer at 30%, and finally Tonal Contrast and grunge effect...............Hope you like it, comments welcome. Just trying to get back into the swing of things after a bit of a photography lay-off.:S3:

Cheryl Slechta
08-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Jay, I'm glad you're back - I've missed your creativity:S3: The effects are perfect and I love the touches of dark red. Hope to see more soon!

denise ippolito
08-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Jay, I like the colors and the processing very much. I also like the image cropped from the bottom. I had to use the transform tool to straighten out the bottom. Hope you like it but I understand if you don't.:S3:

Jay Sheinfield
08-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Jay, I like the colors and the processing very much. I also like the image cropped from the bottom. I had to use the transform tool to straighten out the bottom. Hope you like it but I understand if you don't.:S3:

Thanks for feedback............I'm thinking there were two scenes here, the roof being the more interesting. Still learning.

Cheryl Slechta
08-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Jay, I think there are many crops here. I originally thought a crop from the bottom to cut out the white line would look good - leaving the cupola in the bg. I also think you could crop even further than Denise's crop (which I like) to right above the fretwork and have an interesting image also. But, I like it just fine the way it is:S3:

denise ippolito
08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks for feedback............I'm thinking there were two scenes here, the roof being the more interesting. Still learning.

Jay, I think that the image as presented is fine. I was just giving you other options but your original post is great.

Andrew McLachlan
08-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi Jay, nicely seen and processed. I like both posts but lean a little more toward Denise's crop as it really accentuates the underside of the roof and becomes more of a graphic representation of the elements in the image, but that's just me.:S3:

Jay Sheinfield
08-29-2012, 10:32 PM
What originally grabbed my eye was the scene of the cupola through the columns of the pavilion. I couldn't pull it off though, just not enough DOF to get the foreground column sharp along with the background, so I tried to save the scene in post processing. I went back and forth with a couple of crops, but couldn't settle on one........so I just left it "as shot" for posting and feedback. I had planned to go back and re-take the shot. Somewhere in here, the scene does seem a bit divided to me. The real expert in the house thought I should have cropped from the bottom.......this may be an area where less is more. I'll try some different options.

I do have a number of shots of just the pavilion roof, inside and out...just thought it was cool all by itself.

I appreciate the feedback............

Anita Bower
09-01-2012, 05:44 PM
The processing is excellent. Gorgeous colors. I was thinking it needed to be cropped from the bottom, then I saw Denise's version, which is exactly where I would crop it. The details and design elements are so strong in the top of the image, that I find the lower part distracts from their impact. I think your version, Jay, would work better if the colors in the bottom half were as strong as the upper half. Great scene, Great work.

Jay Sheinfield
09-02-2012, 07:35 AM
The processing is excellent. Gorgeous colors. I was thinking it needed to be cropped from the bottom, then I saw Denise's version, which is exactly where I would crop it. The details and design elements are so strong in the top of the image, that I find the lower part distracts from their impact. I think your version, Jay, would work better if the colors in the bottom half were as strong as the upper half. Great scene, Great work.

I agree.......although I do like the scene, the crop from the bottom works better. I appreciate your explanation on why you think it works better with the crop.............