PDA

View Full Version : Grip of Death

Ken Watkins
08-29-2012, 11:04 AM
After standing off for the hunt and capture we rushed down to see the ensuing struggle.

The Gnu was successfully throttled within 3 minutes

EOS 1D MkIII

70-200mm at 200mm

F5.6, ISO 800, 1/5000

Rachel Hollander
08-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Ken - I like the pano comp and the action is interesting though I do wish for a slight head turn from the standing lioness or that she was at least looking at the action. I am curious about the settings though - I would have stopped down a bit to get more dof especially with 1/5000 as ss. You could have easily gone to f8 or higher.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
08-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Rachel,

Thanks for your comment, the position of the rear lioness is what you would expect more from a Cheetah coalition with one watching out for incoming raiders, unless there were males in the area no rel need I would have thought.
The DOF seems OK on the subjects for me I see no real need for more detail in the BG, but that is all down to taste:w3

Jamie Douglas
08-30-2012, 12:59 AM
I do like the lioness standing guard but any chance you could have got lower or was this from the roof of a jeep? Would have been nice to have gone lower and wider.

As for the image posted, the details looks good and no nits from me apart from the shutter speed being a little high.

Jamie

Ken Watkins
08-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Jamie,

Thanks for your comment, I was as low as I could get i. e. on the floor of an open vehicle just above the side panel, no getting out in this situation:w3

Marina Scarr
08-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Nice behavior capture. The gnu's legs up in the air add a lot to the story here.