PDA

View Full Version : Night Fall @ Cedar Key, FL

Miguel Palaviccini
08-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Taken at Cedar Key, FL a couple of nights ago. Used a 600 Lumen flashlight to light up the foreground. Took several tries to get the desired effect, but well worth it in my opinion.

Critiques, comments, and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

16 mm | 30 sec | f/5.6 | ISO 1250

Rachel Hollander
08-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Miguel - the lighting of the fg is very effective. I do wish for a few more or brighter stars in the sky.

TFS,
Rachel

Miguel Palaviccini
08-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Thank you for the comments Rachel. Unfortunately, the moon light was affecting the amount of stars that were seen. I did my best of lightening up the stars in PS. I'll be out there again in two weeks for the new moon and hope to improve on this shot!

Maureen Allen
08-30-2012, 08:16 PM
I think it's a lovely shot, Miguel.

Morkel Erasmus
08-31-2012, 04:52 PM
It's worked out well Miguel - love the composition and great foreground lighting in the end...I presume the midground lighting is from the moon? Adds a lot to the shot.
Despite moonlight diminishing the stars you could have pushed the ISO some more to say 3200 (you didn't state which camera you used so this might be a factor - how well it handles higher ISOs)
For these scenes I like to open up wide to f2.8 and focus to hyperfocal distance - you will find that at 16mm you will have most of what you want in focus nailed, and the stars will come ALIVE!

Looking forward to your images under the dark moon! :5

Miguel Palaviccini
09-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Morkel, thanks for the input! Most of the lighting was done with the flashlight (very strong at 500 Lumen). I was shooting with the d300s, and I'm not very comfortable going past ISO 1600 with it (although that might be a function of my NR capabilities). I'm glad that you mentioned the hyperfocal distance. I wanted to try that, but the focus distance scale on the 14-24 isn't very informative. The hyperfocal distance was 4 ft and - if I remember correctly - the scale has 3.5 and inf. I'm not how to set it correctly via the scale. Any suggestions?

Mark Wiseman
09-02-2012, 04:32 AM
Hi Miguel,
I like the simplicity of your image. You managed the foreground lighting really well, well done.
Thanks for sharing and the best of light,
Mark.

Roman Kurywczak
09-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Hey Miguel,
You did an excellent job light painting.........very natural looking. I use noise Ninja on all my night images and I go to ISO 6400 with the Mark 3. Yes you could also choose ISO 3200 and f2.8 as Morkel mentioned. I try to keep my FG subjects at least 20 ft. when doing my night images but herre is a very useful DOF link: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
I have done this out in the Glades so I know you have major light pollution issues but they should be controlable. If you find the FG a bit too bright, you can cover the lens or use a split ND upside down for part of the exposure. Just some other ideas to keep in mind for in the field.

Robert Amoruso
09-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree with the comments above. I would suggest a bit more FG as the rocks seem somewhat cramped to me.

Andrew Aveley
09-14-2012, 11:44 AM
some great light painting and pleasing images. Constructive advice given is great :) TFS