PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tailed Skink

Dave Johnson
08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
This was taken back in June of this year in mountain woodland. It's quite a large crop and was taken from a vertical shot and flipped 90 degrees to stop me from becoming dizzy every time I opened the file :bugeyed:

Shooting info: Canon 60D, 100mm F2.8 L, hand held, SS 1/200, F5.6, ISO 400.

All C&C welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Jonathan Ashton
08-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Despite the crop you still have a fine image there Dave. I know it's a bit late for you now for me to mention it but if you had taken the image at a lower angle (it may not have been possible?) then the skink would have had a little more impact. It is also unfortunate that the tail is missing especially as the title draws attention to it's being blue. It may be a worthwhile exercise to brighten some of the darker areas along the broad dark stripe. You have good focus the catch light in the eye is beneficial, there is a stray small white area on the left part of the eye I would consider cloning that. I am looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Dave Johnson
08-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for looking Jonathan. I've gone back to the RAW file and removed the white eye speck, opened up the shadows a touch and cropped looser to show the blue tail. This little fellow was very jittery and I only managed a few shots before he scurried away but would have liked to get a lower level shot. Maybe next time...

Repost:

LindaHarden
09-01-2012, 05:10 PM
I think your reworked image has a lot more pop. There seems to be better isolation of the subject from the background. If it were mine, I might try darkening the white areas at the top. I have skinks around here and they are never still... so it's nice to see an image of one up close.