PDA

View Full Version : juvenile turnstone

christopher galeski
08-29-2012, 06:37 AM
went up to Morcambe bay the other morning,bit overcast,but this is the uk,I was up to my knees in the sea to get this image,I know the rock in the BG might not apeal to some,but it was a catch 22,if I moved to the left a bit,there was another rock in view,cannon 7D,CANNON 500MM IS L USM,AT 700MM FL,TRIPOD,f5.6,1/350sec,iso800,crop,sharpening,lightened up a bit.comments good or bad.thanks.

Grace Scalzo
08-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Chris, I like your image....the bird is standing so nicely on his perch, well exposed, and giving you nice eye contact. The rear rock does not bother me at all, but as I do a browser scroll up from the bottom, I think the focus is more on the bird if you trim from the bottom.

Miguel Palaviccini
08-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Nice treatment of the bg in camera. I would consider maybe lightening up the rock in bg just a smidge. I can't tell from this resolution, but the face looks a little bit soft. I would also lighten the bird with a curves adj layer. Great composition and color!

Ofer Levy
08-29-2012, 09:07 AM
This is lovely! The rock makes this image for me.

Stu Bowie
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi Chris, knowing these guys, they never keep still, so well done for getting this, and even a great pose and HA. The colours pop nicely from the high key BG, and love all the detail on the rock 'perch'. I would the leave the bottom, and maybe take a bit off the top.

Jack Breakfast
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
This is a very sweet picture, and I agree with Grace RE a trim from the bottom. I learned about the browser scroll from her. What a terrific easy-does-it cropping trick! Also: I like the rock in the background. It adds context and texture...

gail bisson
08-29-2012, 10:49 AM
The thumbnail doesn't do it justice.
I really like the rock with the barnacles and the one legged pose.
The rear rock doesn't bother me at all.
I would lighten the bird a bit and sharpen a smidge more,
Gail

Marina Scarr
08-29-2012, 11:21 AM
What a terrific perch. I would crop just a tad off of the bottom and right. BG rock works well depicting the environment. I'd sharpen the bird just a tad more. Well done.

Simon Wantling
08-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Really like this Christopher. I know what you mean about the UK weather. It's rarely ideal ! I like the pose and its a wonderful bird to photograph. The OOF rock in the background doesn't bother me to much. Really nice and the two larger snails on the rock add to the image. Agree about the crop suggestion.

Jonathan Ashton
08-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Chris the only thing I would do is take a tad off the top. Your exposure looks good to me and the OOF rock looks just fine, in fact I think it helps otherwise there would be an awful lot of "empty white space". I like the pose and I think the barnacles and whelks enhance the image.

Rachel Hollander
08-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Christopher - this works very well with the similar tones of the rock perch, the subject and the bg.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Holguin
08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Very nice shot. I really like the pose and the rock it's standing on. Excellent details and I think the oof rock gives the image some depth.
Well done.

christopher galeski
08-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks everybody for your comments.