PDA

View Full Version : Red-necked grebe, a late-in-the-season nester

Jack Breakfast
08-28-2012, 09:51 PM
I was more than surprised to see this r.n. grebe gathering nesting materials the other week...after two failed attempts, the fine couple was back at it again! This picture was taken with the Canon 7D and 70-300L at 300mm. iso800, 1/500, f7.1...you're looking at 70% of the original capture. Speaking of, given that I find myself shooting at 300mm about 80% of the time, and cropping away about 15 to 30%, methinks I should have bought the 100-400 instead, but why chastise myself for what's already done? Back to the picture: I took a great many pictures of these grebes but the simplicity here appeals to me. I am only mildly irked by the wisp of vegetation that crosses the eye, but I didn't want to attempt an eviction of the green strand, it didn't feel right to me this time. I'll thank you most sincerely, and in advance, for your time and consideration!

Maya Raut
08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Hi Jack,

I liked the pano crop, head angle and grebe with nesting material..I am not sure but colors look sightly off.

- Maya

Jack Breakfast
08-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks Maya! The colors look fine to me, but I could be very wrong. Let's see if some other fine folks chime in on the subject of my wonky color!:cheers:

Stu Bowie
08-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Hi Jack, lovely behavioural shot of the grebe 'dragging' along his nesting material. Although the grebe is centrally placed, it works, as we want to see the wake from behind. The reflection is ok to leave in, and not too familiar with this species, so will leave the colour to those who know him better.:w3

gail bisson
08-29-2012, 10:40 AM
This is a very nice action/behavior pose.
I really like the dragging nesting material and the way it falls over the grebes' body.
I am fine with leaving the stray blade by the eye on this one.
I can see a crop with a bit more off the left and a touch off the right.
This looks like it was taken at sunset and if it was then the colors are probably fine but if taken at any other time I think there is too much red,
Gail

Jack Breakfast
08-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Hello, yes, I should have added that this was taken at sunset...my apologies. And thanks for the kindly comments, all...

Daniel Cadieux
08-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Jack, was this taken in the Toronto area? I didn't think this species' range was so east, but there are always exceptions. Anyhow, neat photo and I too like the vegetation being dragged along the water. I'd have prefered it not swimming away, but the glance back does help with that. Pano crop works well IMO.

Jack Breakfast
08-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Oh yes Daniel we have r.n. grebes in and around Toronto. There are at least 8 nesting pairs I knew of this season, all in southwest Toronto and the surrounding areas...

Daniel Cadieux
08-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Cool! Those are awesome opportunities, especially that they seem approachable compared to the migrating ones we get here that are 300 yards out into the water!!

Jonathan Ashton
08-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Nice shot Jack, it always helps an image if the bird is doing something and here the weed in the bill does precisely that. I looked at the image and thought the colours were a little out of kilter but I have now read the previous comments. I have slight reservations over the crop, perhaps a little more on top and crop a tad off the right.

Jack Breakfast
08-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Jonathan, I've spent so much time with these birds over the past couple of months, and it's remarkable to me how their colors change in the last light...you are also a grebe man!