PDA

View Full Version : Ethics and Etiquette

James Shadle
08-28-2012, 08:43 PM
The subject of field ethics comes up from time to time and is nearly always polarizing. And while the subject of field etiquette is not nearly as polarizing, photographing with or near someone with poor etiquette can be maddening.

Help us put together a "Code of Conduct" so to speak. Offer your opinion on what should and should not be included.

Please remember to stay on topic and be cordial. Offer suggestions for field ethics and/or field etiquette.

I'll start with a very general rule I live by - "If you love your subject more than your photography, you will cause no harm"

Rachel Hollander
08-29-2012, 04:36 PM
James - I'll start with a very basic one: If others were there first don't move in front of them or interfere with their shot.

John Guastella
08-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Birds express clear behaviors and signals - vocal or otherwise - when they are stressed. Learn what those signals are and back off immediately when you see or hear them.

John

Arthur Morris
09-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Respect the birds and their lives and respect other photographers. Speak up when you see folks doing the wrong thing if you feel safe about doing so. In egregious cases photograph the wrong-doers doing wrong and if possible, photograph their licence plates and let those in charge (if any) know.

I do not think that setting up a BPN Code of Ethics makes any sense as what you do in the field is decided by each of us and there are no courts or judgement. I am pretty sure that this was discussed here pretty recently--if any can provide a link please do so.

Elliotte Rusty Harold
09-01-2012, 04:40 PM
A specific issue I see violated time and gain: Stay on allowed paths. Do not cross fences and other barriers put in place to protect wildlife.

Roger Clark
09-03-2012, 12:51 AM
I'd like to pick up on Rachel's comment. I have had "professional photographers" move in front of me (not BPN members) to photograph a client in a nice scene. I have had tour groups move in front of me, or crowd into me so close I could hardly move (actually touching my shoulders on both sides in one case--I protested strongly as I couldn't even move my lens--it got ugly). On the plus side, I had one tour group member move in front of my son and the group leader told the guy no, that was not right as the other photographer (my son) was there first, but this seems to be a rarity in my experience.

Roger

Ken Watkins
09-03-2012, 05:03 AM
Hi everybody,

Here is the link to the previous discussion of a similar subject

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/101626-Ethics-in-Nature-Photography

Whilst it might be nice if everybody behaved well in front of all animals, I know from my own experiences that is an impossible dream.