PDA

View Full Version : Namib Desert at Dusk

Rachel Hollander
08-28-2012, 02:40 PM
This was just after the sun had gone down behind the distant dunes as seen from our camp in the Namib near Sossusvlei. The pastel colors of the sky were incredible.

Canon 5D3
16-35 II @ 27mm
1/25
f5.6
ISO 400
HH, cropped for composition, luminosity mask and reverse luminosity mask, curves, levels adjustments, selective color adjustments, Hougaard Malan action and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Norm Dulak
08-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi Rachel.

Nice image, with a beautiful sky. The mountains are interesting, and I like what appear to be vehicle tracks on the left side about 1/3 up from the bottom.

If it were mine, I'd investigate cropping out more of the rough grasses at the bottom and a bit off the top, to see what more of a pano image would look like.

Norm

Mark Wiseman
08-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Hi Rachel,
I like your image, but agree with Norm about the foreground. I took the liberty and adjusted the crop, added mid tone contrast and used a contrast mask to lighten the foreground a wee bit. That Namibian sky and the clouds is what appeals to me.
WDYT and TFS.
Best wishes and good light,
Mark.
:wave:

Rachel Hollander
08-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks Norm and Mark. It's a good alternative comp though I somewhat like the texture of the rough grasses (probably because I was there and walked through them). Those are in fact vehicle tracks on each side of the image.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Don Railton
08-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Hi Rachel

Like you I love the soft colours in this, but I do agree with the guys above regarding the crop as well and like what Mark has done but would have trimmed a little more sky (to just above the big cloud on the left) to give it more of a pano aspect ratio. I appreciate your reason for leaving the foreground and probably would do the same..

Don

Robert Amoruso
09-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Rachel,

I am going the other way here with regards to the crop comments and my comments to your previous images and say I find the FG interesting but not distracting.

I did a browser crop and found that just a small amount off the bottom helps to accentuate the mountains more - a good thing IMO.

Nice work.

Rachel Hollander
09-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks Don and Robert very much

Anette Mossbacher
09-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Hi Rachel,

great image and wonderful colors. I like it the way it is. Especially the vehicle tracks coming in.
Wonderful place :bg3:

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
09-04-2012, 03:12 PM
I like both crops - nice soft hues!
Did you consider using the road as a central leading line? It's hidden on the LHS now and I feel it could've been more prominent :e3

Rachel Hollander
09-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Morkel - thanks. I did not consider it as a central line but rather placed it on both sides. That's also the track coming in from the right. It goes down a bit and then curves around and approaches camp on the left.

Andrew Aveley
09-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Brilliant colours an dunes. Like the crop suggestion of Robert :) TFS