PDA

View Full Version : Killdeer in Parking Lot Puddle

Arthur Morris
08-28-2012, 08:48 AM
This adult Killdeer was photographed from my car yesterday with my rig resting on a folded up sweatshirt on the lowered driver’s side window; oh how I wish that I had brought my BLUBB (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=12) to NY! With the Canon 800mm f/5.L IS lens, the 1.4X III TC, and the discontinued Canon EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1/3 stop: 1/250 sec. at f/11 in Manual mode. Central sensor (by necessity) AI Servo/Rear Focus AF on the closest bird’s face and recompose. Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/09/13/rear-focus-tutorial/) if you missed the Rear Focus Tutorial. Bill and background clean-up.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

To read the whole story, see the original image, and learn a great new Photoshop tip see Living and Learning After the Thunderstorm & A Great New Content Aware Fill Trick (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/08/28/living-and-learning-after-the-thunderstorm-a-great-new-content-aware-fill-trick/) on my blog (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/).

Bill Dix
08-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Beautifully clean post-storm light on this Killdeer, with a great pose. Sunlit grasses on the right just mildly distracting. Very useful lesson in clean-up. Thanks for sharing.

Marina Scarr
08-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Nice portrait of the Killdeer with lovely light, colors and angle but feels cramped.

Grace Scalzo
08-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Really nice light on this killdeer. Could be a bit looser in the frame. Good lessons in the blog. What a nice puddle. I never leave home without my blubb. :w3

Arthur Morris
08-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Nice portrait of the Killdeer with lovely light, colors and angle but feels cramped.

Agree, but I think that it just gets under the wire with respect to my "no longer than 75% of either dimension" guideline :).

Miguel Palaviccini
08-28-2012, 11:14 AM
great detail and color on the killdeer. Wonder what a bit of desaturation on the grass would do to the overall image.

gail bisson
08-28-2012, 03:31 PM
The light is beautiful as is the HA and pose.
I wish you had moved a bit to the right to get rid of some of the grasses on the right side and that may have allowed to get the head and beak against a cleaner BG.I find the near vertical grass that intersects with the beak distracting and would clone it out.
A lovely shot,
Gail

dankearl
08-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Excellent. I like the environment, you should have said it was taken at the local wetlands!
The light and pose are very nice.

Manjeet & Yograj Jadeja
08-28-2012, 11:24 PM
not often that we can suggest improvement on your photographs, so could not resist :)
it would have looked a lot better if the direction of the head and tail would have been reversed,
i.e. the bird looking in the direction of the tail with a similar pose.
Removing the all the grass on the right or the vertical blade of grass near the beak would also improve this one a lot

Satish Ranadive
08-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Magnificent image of Killdeer in habitat.
Love the pose,colors.details and way bird pops on BG. Green curved BG and FG gives nice 3D effect to image.

Regards,
Satish.

Martin Lord
08-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Hey Athur, Great image. The processing on the bird is great, I do agree with Gail's comment on the vertical grass. I am curious to ask, weren't you tempted to remove the 1.4x and shoot this at f/5.6? Seems like it could have add space to image and blur to the bright and busy background on the top right.

Best,
/martin

Cheryl Arena Molennor
08-29-2012, 07:51 PM
I really like the colors and environment you captured. Great find and execution from the car as well. I too would like just a little bit more room mostly at the tail end

Arthur Morris
09-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Hey Athur, Great image. The processing on the bird is great, I do agree with Gail's comment on the vertical grass. I am curious to ask, weren't you tempted to remove the 1.4x and shoot this at f/5.6? Seems like it could have add space to image and blur to the bright and busy background on the top right. Best, /martin

Hi Martin, Removing the TC would have resulted in the bird being 1/2 the size in the frame as the area that the bird covers is a function of the square of the focal length, in this case that would have been 8 squared = 64 as compared to 11.2 squared or 125.44. And there was simply not time to move the car as the birds were moving about :).

Martin Lord
09-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks Authur. Always interested to see how you work.