PDA

View Full Version : Jonquil Plus B

Grahame Hamblin
08-27-2012, 09:58 PM
New camera 800E f 14 !/4000 sec iso 800
Have not posted for some time . This looks exciting but a way to go lens nikon 105 macro
Grahame

John Chardine
08-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Hi Grahame- Beautiful sweep of blossoms and the honey bee is a nice touch- almost a surprise as your eye follows the line of flowers. The flower colour is great- yellows are easy to clip. I think the bee is a little over-saturated. I think the whole image could be brightened some. despite the f14, the two lower flowers appear a little soft. Was there a reason you needed 1/4000s?

denise ippolito
08-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi Grahame, I too like the sweep of the blossoms. I try to avoid mixed lighting as much as possible especially when working with flowers. I often use my body to shade areas and reflectors to bring the light where I want it. Composition-ally I might take a small slice off the left. I like the dark backgound for this. Nice job and I am looking forward to seeing more. Congrats on the new camera.

Jonathan Ashton
08-28-2012, 09:07 AM
An interesting shot Grahame, the image is overall perhaps a little underexposed and the lighting on the bee does not appear to be consistent with that of the flower. On the one hand this draws attention to the bee but on the other it makes the colours slightly out of kilter, this of course may be your intention.
I think the underexposure was to ensure the yellows were not blown (??) but I would have suggested a little more exposure would have been beneficial. I agree that the saturation of the bee and it's immediate environs seems a little high. In situations like these I now tend to take the intended image and also wait until I sense the bee may take off then I hit the motor drive in the hope that I just may get a shot of the bee ideally positioned in flight. It doesn't always work but I think it is worth a try every now and again.

Grahame Hamblin
08-29-2012, 04:06 AM
Thank you all for your comments shutter speed was in part by high iso wanted to see effect I think f14 was too small and caused difraction The big surprise in orig was where was the Bee then saw a black blob and i mean a black blob put vivasa 2 on it and out popped the bee not perfect but could not believe what was there.
Thank you for your comments I am once again exicited about photography.
Grahame