Melissa Groo
08-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Canon ID4
700mm
Handheld from a canoe

ISO 1000
f/6.3
1/2000 sec

I went canoe camping with my family a week ago, in the Adirondacks. I was overjoyed to hear the haunting sound of loons calling at night--my first time ever. The next day, in the late afternoon, we heard them again not far off, and we went out in the canoe in search. We found them in a cove about a half hour paddle away. The two parents were diving and feeding fish to their one juvenile. It was very special to have them right in front of us, calling back and forth to keep in touch. This was the only the 2nd time I've ever seen a loon (the first being an errant one that turned up in my town in central NY on a stream a couple years ago).

Shooting handheld from the canoe, which was a bit challenging as our restless 7-year-old daughter and pit bull mix made for an unsteady platform, and I didn't have much shooting time. Wished I could have waited for the light to get softer; this was at about 6 pm and we had to head back for camp. I have a series of different images I am reasonably happy with though, as we ended up having a couple of visits with this family. I definitely found exposure on these guys challenging (not dissimilar to male common mergansers!). And figuring out light angle is very tricky esp from a boat that is difficult to maneuver into the right position.

Here the loon is calling, as it is separated from its mate and juvenile.

Some crop, noise removal, sharpening, and recovery on whites on breast. I should have lowered the ISO in retrospect. And i cloned out a double catchlight in the eye (the sun's reflection on the water).

Thank you in advance for any comments and critiques.

Sachin Saraf
08-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Melissa, What a beautiful image you came back with...wonderful calling pose, low angle, sharpness and BG...Whites look Ok to me and I might crop a tad from top. Looking forward to see more.

Randy Stout
08-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Melissa:

Glad you got to enjoy some close up loon magic. They are wonderful, and esp. when feeding junior. Such attentive parents.

This is a rather unusual pose, must be the result of the calling. Interesting to see just the sliver of light through the bill.

Nice job recovering on the breast, as it often is blown and you have trouble getting back any detail.

Look forward to more.

I might suggest shooting without the dog in the future:S3:

Cheers

Randy

Jack Breakfast
08-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Melissa, I like this very much. The colors of the loon and the colors of the water, the great pose...

David Salem
08-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Very nice Loon image. The exposure and details are perfect. Great HA also. Like the puffed throat while calling. Good job, especially from the canoe.

David

Oscar Dewhurst
08-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Lovely image Melissa, the low angle works well, and the colours and pose are great. Might consider cropping some off the top as well

Oscar

Gaurav Mittal
08-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Beautiful image Melissa, the fact that you shot this from a canoe it self poses challenges. I agree with the points made by others, I like your narrative as it
helps in visualizing your experience :)

Marina Scarr
08-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Glad you had an opportunity to photograph these gorgeous birds. Lovely pose and light, well exposed and you did well hand holding. I like the ripple in front of the loon, the slightly open bill and the fact that you can see the green on the crown and neck is a big plus.

Ofer Levy
08-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Lovely image !! SHarp with excellent detail and nice low angle. If mine would move it slightly up in the frame but thats just my taste.

Josh Clark
08-27-2012, 11:39 PM
This is awesome Melissa! Especially given the shooting conditions you were presented with. With the exception of the low POV, I can not even tell it was shot hand held from a canoe. Truly a great image, congrats!

Daniel Cadieux
08-28-2012, 06:19 AM
There is nothing like hearing the call of the loon during the night...it still gives me chills every time! Beautiful image, I like the velvety smooth-looking neck. Awesome texture to the water in front of the loon. For web presentation I might darken the pupil, but I'm sure it looks great at bigger resolution. Very nice Melissa.

Stu Bowie
08-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi Melissa, you have brought out the colours on the head so well here, together with the eye. Excellent detail captured on the Loon, low angle from your canoe, and just love the colour of the water. If anything, I would take a bit off the top.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Melissa, loved this one. The placement and size of the bird is critical in these shots. Both are pretty much perfect for me. the details, water texture, pose...one heck of a shot.

Jim Crosswell
08-28-2012, 07:13 PM
I like the low angle, sharpness, exposure and BG. Well done under challenging conditions.

arash_hazeghi
08-29-2012, 02:29 AM
sweet Melissa! love the pose low angle and details. well done

Melissa Groo
08-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Thank you to all for your feedback, much appreciated.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
08-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Lucky you, I want to see these so bad. The head angle on this is great as well as the show of movement thru the water with that slight wake. Nice exposure ont he head and neck showing the green color