PDA

View Full Version : RED KITE

Ivan Ellison
08-27-2012, 11:29 AM
First post- so here goes. A recent visit across the Pennines to Harewood where we have a re introduction of these great birds. The birds are totally wild but do respond to food, although there is no permanant feeding station like other parts of the country have. I spend several hours watching the countryside and spotting the birds. Once a few are seen I put out roadkill/ dead 1 day old chicks and then wait. Some birds eventually respond.
Equipment used. 1DmkIV, Canon 500 f4 is. 1/1600, f5.6, ISO 500, AWB, manual setting. Handheld.
Slight crop to center the bird, exposure tweaked in Adobe RAW and slight sharpening. Highlights and shadows in Elements 10 with a little more sharpening. Not much more done as I don't know how to use layers and other advanced options . Need to learn more hence the joining of this forum- dont learn much from the others- good shot etc.

Melissa Groo
08-27-2012, 12:39 PM
A big welcome to you, Ivan. This forum really does offer the most substantive feedback, it's amazing how much you will learn if you really take advantage of it. What a super first post. Great sharpness, exposure, and dynamic moment captured. Really like the fanned out tail. I overall like your comp but could also see some more room on the left for the bird to look/fly into.

Randy Stout
08-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Ivan

Welcome to BPN, a great place to learn and grow as a nature photographer. One of the best ways to sharpen your eye is to comment on other folks images as it really forces you to look critically at the image.

Fine first post, handsome raptor, intense stare, nice display of primaries.

Agree with Melissa on the crop, try to have a little more room on the side they are looking or flying into.

Face could use a bit more sharpening for my tastes.

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

Simon Wantling
08-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Welcome to this great forum. Great image and agree with the comments mentioned already. Definitely a bit tight crop for my taste, so would be nice to see a little more space on the left so the bird isn't so central. Really like the quality and detail. In Northamptonshire we're lucky enough to see these wonderful birds on a daily basis.

Miguel Palaviccini
08-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Great first post. Look forward to future posts! As mentioned above, the IQ is great, colors are great, sharpness is right on, but it's a bit tight. I think adding some space to the left would be great.

Marina Scarr
08-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Welcome to BPN and what an awesome first post. Agree on a tad more space/canvas on the left. Like seeing that fanned tail and the movement in the wings. You worked very hard to achieve this capture and it paid off. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

David Salem
08-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Welcome. I am a newbie to this forum also. Even though I have been into wildlife photography for many years, I have been learning allot about PP and the finer points of what people find appealing,or not, in my photos. You will learn allot.

This one is very nice. Like the bent primaries and the HA. Exposed well and looks sharp over here. Maybe add to the left and take a little from the top. Nice Job. Look forward to more...

David

Ofer Levy
08-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Looks great! Welcome to BPN!

Richard Unsworth
08-28-2012, 12:28 AM
Hi Ivan

Just down the road from me :S3:, but Im leaving next month.

nice way to first post and Im betting you have some more, great pose. OK as is, color and exposure look particulary good.
As has been said needs a little on the lhs as a bit tight

Daniel Cadieux
08-28-2012, 06:16 AM
You're off to a good start posting on BPN! Excellent pose, techs, colours. I do agree with the composition suggestions. Looking forward to more!!

Carl Day
08-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Welcome Ivan. Great first post. I think you've done well in what looks like harsh light, agree with a little more space needed. Looking forward to few more.

Cheers,

Carl.

Ivan Ellison
08-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Many thanks for your comments, I will try the pic with more space to see how it comes out. Sorry to hear you are moving Rochard , we may have met up some time. Good luck where ever you are moving to.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Ivan, welcome aboard. a cracking first post. Am sure you will enjoy this place and we will enjoy your shots.

excellent head turn you got here..with light striking the face perfectly. Little tight on one side...but a minor point. Exposure and IQ looks very good.