PDA

View Full Version : Away for 3 weeks

Steve Maxson
08-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Hi Everyone - just wanted to let you all know that I am off to Kenya and won't be back until mid-September. I hope everyone will pitch in to help keep this Forum running smoothly. :S3:

This image is of a young Gray Treefrog (Hyla versicolor) hiding in plain sight on a leaf (they can also change to a gray color). Most of the treefrogs I see during the summer are sitting on leaves like this. 7D, 180 mm macro, 1/20, f/13, ISO 400, tripod, mirror lock, cable release, natural light. I cleaned up a few bits of debris on the leaf and cloned some specular highlights on the frog. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Marina Scarr
08-26-2012, 09:06 PM
What an outstanding capture, Steve. Loving the camo on this frog. The details and colors are amazing, and the lines of the leaf work well with this frame.

Have a great trip.

Dave Johnson
08-27-2012, 07:03 AM
Fantastic image Steve, love everything about it especially the texture of the frog's skin. TFS, and have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Dave Leroy
08-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Yes, have a great trip Steve.
Lovely photo and excellent capture. I might also have a look at a slight crop from bottom to take off the bottom line. As is the line does add to the framing.

Jonathan Ashton
08-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Hey Steve what an image to leave us with! The consideration to composition is very clear and the detail in the frog is excellent, I really like the colours too.
I have a very slight reservation over DOF, and I must admit it always applies to my images of frogs too. I sometimes think it is better to consider not going in quite so close so there is a little less magnification thus providing greater DOF. This still leaves the opportunity of cropping slightly to give the desired size of subject in the frame.