PDA

View Full Version : Leptopelis Argenteus

Stuart Dahne
04-21-2008, 07:12 AM
This little guy is another from the project on frogs that I am working on. He is about an inch long and hails from Africa. For those who don't know, frogs are dying off around the world and are considered to be the proverbial "Canaries in the Coalmine". My goal is to create images to draw people in to educate them about our global impact with hopes of raising awareness.
All comments and critiques are valued!

Camera Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Exposure Time 0.025s (1/40)
Aperture f/32.0
ISO 400
Focal Length 180mm (234mm in 35mm)
Flash flash fired, compulsory flash mode
Exposure Program manual
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Mode manual
White Balance auto
Color Space sRGB

Robert O'Toole
04-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Fantasitic image, I really like the pose and the frog's look, cant get any better than that. Love the eye detail and the red patches. the arm position is very cool also and love the finger cup.

BG/tech info is excellent thanks.

To make the image even better I would like to see a little more room to the left and some selective sharpnening to the face and eye area to bring out some more details and texture, I know there is more there.

Robert

Alfred Forns
04-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Love those prominent eyes !!!! Agree with Robert's suggestions One thing I can add is maybe using a diffuser over the flash? Excellent !!!!!

Stuart Dahne
04-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks Robert and Al, I really appreciate your input! I will look at the crop when I get home, as for the diffuser I had one on there however flash photography is deffinately my weakness. For this I had the flash off camera (in my hand) and was experimenting with the position. This was just to the left of the lens at the end of the lens, focus ~ position the flash ~ and shoot the shot all before this little guy moved again was a real challenge. If anyone has any suggestions for flash techniques for shots like this, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks Again!

Fabs Forns
04-21-2008, 08:36 PM
It looks almost like something out of this world!
Hate to disagree with the others, but this looks over sharpened and too contrasty for y tastes.
Great compo, though...

John Cooper
04-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi Stuart - those eyes really have it !!!
Lots of impact here but agree with Robert that the subject appears a bit cramped on the left side of frame.
Watched David Attenborough's show on TV lastnight "Life in Cold Blood". This episode was on frogs - Fascinating stuff!!

Mike Moats
04-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey Stuart, awesome image, love those eyes. Very well done.

Vincent Grafhorst
04-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Cool image Stuart! Good luck with your good cause.