PDA

View Full Version : Common Tern

Oscar Dewhurst
08-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the comments on my Bittern image. If anyone is interested, and if I'm allowed to post this, I have been asked if I would like to have a gallery of them featured on the bbc wildlife website, which is here: http://www.discoverwildlife.com/gallery/beautiful-bittern-photo-gallery-oscar-dewhurst The images are sharp on my computer, honest!

This is one taken a couple of weeks ago in London, just as the sun was rising. These Common Terns were regularly flying past me, and so I would follow them in the viewfinder until they passed through this magnificent light.

Taken with a D300s and 200-400mm f4 VR lens on a monopod. F4, 1/2000s, ISO 400. PP: minor crop, USM

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8303/7859959814_045f2e6642_b.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Oscar

Randy Stout
08-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Oscar:

Lovely colors in the sky, I like the subtle backlighting on wings and bill. Nice comp for small in frame subject. It gives me a feel of him flying in front of a storm.

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
08-25-2012, 10:57 PM
I find this capture quite pleasing. The frame is on fire! I think a bit off left, right and bottom makes this a stronger image. Just tried it. Well see, planned and executed.

Off topic, but I am loving the Bittern in snow and the one that is in flight and being attacked by crows. Well done.

Frank Schauf
08-26-2012, 05:25 AM
Nice comp and bg, Oscar.

Richard Unsworth
08-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Very much in your "style" Oscar, and you have loads of that!
diffrent and pleasing, nice to see a fair few people doing things a little differently.
Your Bittern shots are exceptional.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Stu Bowie
08-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi Oscar, love the mood here, and I like the flight pose of the Tern. The two tone BG works well, and if anything, just a little off the LHS.

Miguel Palaviccini
08-27-2012, 09:19 AM
great composition and without the warm colors, the image isn't nearly as good. I agree with the slight crop mentioned above. Just make sure that if you take some off the LHS, that you also take some off the bottom to keep it the same aspect ratio.