PDA

View Full Version : New Camera , New Species

Arno Ellmer
08-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Today , with intrepidation and great anticipation I tried out my new Canon 1DX at the Austen Roberts Bird Sanctuary in Pretoria.
I am still coming to grips with the new AF system and I had mixed results.
I came away with this image of a Black -bellied Whistling Duck.It is an introduced species to Southern Africa ( occurring in the southern United States and in central South America ) and I had not photographed one before.

Canon 1D X
400mm F 5.6
f/7.1
1/3200
ISO 1250
Manual
Metering Evaluative
cropped all round
Shot out of hand

All comments and suggestions/recommendation welcomed

Randy Stout
08-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Arno:

Sharp, well exposed, great splash, feet, action.

Def. needs some CW rotation.

Look forward to some more from your new camera.

Cheers

Randy

laurie golden
08-25-2012, 10:04 PM
New cameras can be a challenge even when they are the best newest camera available. Keep working on it. I agree with Randy, good sharp duck with good action.

Ken Watkins
08-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Arno,

This looks pretty good to me, I really like the colours. I have yet to have any decent chance to get out with mine, weather over this side has been abysmal.

Frank Schauf
08-26-2012, 05:27 AM
Congratulations to the new 1dx, Arno. Nice in flight pose, good capture.

Jonathan Ashton
08-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Well focused and exposed Arno, I like the timing with the water droplets. I am sure you will be at home with the new camera in quick time.
Just one tiny observation is that a cloning artefact on the neck just below the head?

Stu Bowie
08-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Hi Arno, congrats on your first of this species, and well timed for the take off. Colours look spot on, good to see the splash, and agree, some CW would work better.

It was great shooting with you yesterday, and interesting I have a completely different take off pose, and we seemed to shoot at the same time. :w3