PDA

View Full Version : Damaraland Oryx Scape

Rachel Hollander
08-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Another from my recent trip to Namibia. I thought having the oryx/gemsbok in the frame gave a little perspective to the vastness of this area. The color of the sky is due to the dust and the mist from the coast in the air.

Canon 5DIII
70-200 II @ 170mm
1/1600 (because the Oryx tended to run everytime we stopped)
f6.3
ISO 400
HH from safari vehicle, straightened, luminosity mask, levels and curves adjustments, LCE and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Robert Amoruso
08-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Hi Rachel,

I like the idea of the animal's inclusion to give scale to the largeness of the area. I like the inclusion of the middle ground peak on the left to breakup that area. I like the strong horizontal line in the BG peaks. The detail in them is well captured. I would crop out the OOF FG for sure and even suggest a crop from bottom all the way up to the where the grass texture evens out. I have reposted my idea. I would also eliminate a small bush creeping in at the right in the grass plane.

Besides the crop, I added a mild s-curve and using selective color added black to black and neutral colors to give the image more contrast. I also corrected vignetting in the sky.

Rachel Hollander
08-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks Robert, your tweaks take it up a notch.

Steve Kaluski
08-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Looking good Rachel. :cheers:

Steve

Hilary Hann
08-27-2012, 04:36 AM
You've certainly captured a desolate scene Rachel and I like Robert's repost, the crop certainly strengthens the composition. This would have been spectacular in very early or late late.

Mark Wiseman
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi Rachel,
I like the image and the Gemsbok does add scale to the image. As Robert's image shows, the additional foreground removed adds to your image. I would maybe have shot at 200mm to increase the magnification and cropping may not have been necessary.
Best wishes, TFS and good light,
Mark.

Rachel Hollander
08-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks Steve, Hilary and Mark.

Ken Watkins
09-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Rachel,

Sorry for being so late, this image brings back some good memories, and is in my experience of the area a good representation of the wonderful scenery and the colours of the mountains. I agree on the crop, but feel that the colours in the re-post are slightly too strong.

Andrew Aveley
09-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Thats Namibia :) Great recrop and maybe look into a BW version :)