PDA

View Full Version : Lion in the Grass

Rachel Hollander
08-25-2012, 09:21 AM
While my leopard sightings in the Timbavati were outstanding on my recent trip, the lion sightings were fewer and much less interesting (mostly flat, sleeping cats). When this large male (est. 250kg) sat up for a moment it gave me really my only good opportunity.
Canon 7D
100-400 @ 275mm
1/400
f5.6
ISO 400
HH from safari vehicle, curves adjustment, selective color adjustment and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Ken Watkins
08-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Rachel,

Well you certainly suffered from "pesky grass" syndrome here:w3

I suppose it would be possible to make the main culprits disappear and I would certainly give it a try as it is nice looking specimen in a nice pose.

Robert Amoruso
08-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Rachel,

I would try some selective sharpening of the lion to make him POP more. The grass does not bother me as much as the bush on the left.

Rachel Hollander
08-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks Robert and Ken. Robert - I agree, I really don't like the bush.

Steve Kaluski
08-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi Rachel, difficult conditions, however I feel you have done well, the focus is in the right place for me and although perhaps the image is not ideal for several reasons as mentioned above, it's all good learning. Personally I would lighten the face, get more detail from the eye(s) and nose, then crop out the whiter elements on the RHS, or if that is too tight, tone them down. The key factor for me is, you got clarity in the eyes, controlled the focus well due to the vegetation in the FG.

Keep them coming.

TFS
Steve :5

Rachel Hollander
08-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks as always Steve.