PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Egret

Ken Watkins
08-25-2012, 01:18 AM
It seems that my pet Egret has been missing from most of my recent images so here he is annoying an Elephant:w3

I like the pose here but the difference in lighting on each side of the Elephant has not worked as well as it could have done. But I hope the eye makes up for it?

Taken from a drifting boat on Lake Manze channel, Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania, 8th July 2012

EOS 1D MkIII

70-200mm F2.8 MkII

F5, ISO 800, 1/400

Rachel Hollander
08-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi Ken - In this one I don't think the egret really adds anything since it lacks detail and might be tempted to evict it. I do like the pose of the elephant and the low pov. I would look at reducing the blues in the shadows as there is a slight blue cast to the rhs as viewed. Personally I might also take the green down a bit as I find the brightness and saturation of the grass pulling my attention from the ele but that is a matter of personal taste.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
08-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Rachel,

Thanks for commenting, I agree I really should have removed the Egret but just left it in for old times sake:S3:
I did reduce the blues in my original processing but the seem to have drifted back in conversion for here. Greens seem to be a recurring problem for me, and although it was very lush indeed perhaps they needed a little toning down.

Robert Amoruso
08-26-2012, 07:21 AM
I agree with Rachel, the clearly over-exposed egret hurts the image.

Marina Scarr
08-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Love the pose on the elephant and although I am not big on evicting any elements from my photo, I'd be tempted to Deep 6 that egret.