PDA

View Full Version : Sandpiper in Golden Light

Maya Raut
08-24-2012, 08:52 PM
This was taken at JBWR..I think this is Least Sandpiper but not sure of the ID.

Hope you all like this. C&C most welcome.

Canon 7D | 700mm | f/6.3 | 1/1000 | ISO 500 Manual

PP: Rotated, Cropped, NR and USM

Maya Raut
08-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Mods please change the heading of the post :bg3:

Randy Stout
08-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Maya:

Nice pose, reflection, blue ripples, good shooting angle.

The image looks just a bit contrasty. The bird is also a little soft, esp. on the head. I am not quite sure where your focus point was.

From a comp standpoint, I might consider a small crop up from the bottom. Daniel often likes matching the amount of space above the bird, to that below the reflection, and I do think that is a good starting point in many cases.

Cheers

Randy

Maya Raut
08-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Here is quick repost..

Marina Scarr
08-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Lovely pose and colors. Unfortunately, your bird is soft and it appears as though you may have oversharpened it to compensate. I am enjoying the swirls in the water. I would suggest that you crop from the bottom, but then you would have to crop through that lovely water swirl. Maybe you could add a little on top instead.

Arthur Morris
08-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Hi Maya, Maya is my granddaughter's name :) Lots to say :). First off, the bird is a worn, molting adult Semipalmated Sandpiper. Leasts have yellow legs. I can highly recommend a copy of my Shorebirds; Beautiful Beachcombers (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=18)--it is chock full of tips on identifying and ageing all of our shorebirds.

Did you get the heading changed?

The light is nice as are the concentric rings, the reflection, and the background color. Were you in the very southwest corner of the East Pond?

I would agree on a small crop from the bottom. Marina hit the nail on the head as to the main problem: the bird is way over-sharpened and as Randy said, too contrasty (as a result of the over-sharpening).

I would suggest that you also get a copy of our Digital Basics File (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252).

If you would like to learn a ton in a short time consider joining Denise Ippolito and I for the NYS seminar in December. We are offering a $20 discount to all BPN members. The link is below.

Frank Schauf
08-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Great reflection, and nice colours in the water, Maya.