PDA

View Full Version : Flying Juvie SESA

Arthur Morris
08-24-2012, 07:02 PM
This juvenal plumage Semipalmated Sandpiper was photographed at the East Pond at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge on afternoon of August 13 with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens, the 1.4X III TC, and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 400. (Could have/should have been ISO 800???). Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/640 sec. at f/8. (Should have been +1 1/3 stops at least :))

The image was brightened and rotated considerably.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Randy Stout
08-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Artie:

I like the low level strafing run look here, with blurred wings and flying water. Nice recovery of the exposure, looks good now.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
08-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks Randy. It was flapping after its bath.

Jack Breakfast
08-24-2012, 07:20 PM
That is one fun shorebird picture! Thank you for disclosing your in-the-field mistakes and after-the-fact corrections. This is especially appreciated b/c the image looks great, and how could we have known you brightened the image so much in post-production? You are a great teacher! Also, I like the blurred wings and water droplets...

Miguel Palaviccini
08-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Looks like you nailed the focus on this one. I would be interested to see more from this sequence if you have them, but I can't imagine any beating this one out. After scanning the image, I (personal preference) would consider removing a small horizontal water droplet on the bottom left of the image.

Questions: do you think that if you would have been at +1 1/3 stop and kept your ISO at 400 that you would have been OK with freezing the head? Just curious. Also, from your experience, what shutter speed do you think you would have needed to freeze the wings? (I quite like the blur, but I'm curious)

Arthur Morris
08-24-2012, 07:35 PM
That is one fun shorebird picture! Thank you for disclosing your in-the-field mistakes and after-the-fact corrections. This is especially appreciated b/c the image looks great, and how could we have known you brightened the image so much in post-production? You are a great teacher! Also, I like the blurred wings and water droplets...

Thanks Jack, and you are a good student :)

Arthur Morris
08-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Looks like you nailed the focus on this one. I would be interested to see more from this sequence if you have them, but I can't imagine any beating this one out. After scanning the image, I (personal preference) would consider removing a small horizontal water droplet on the bottom left of the image.

Questions: do you think that if you would have been at +1 1/3 stop and kept your ISO at 400 that you would have been OK with freezing the head? Just curious. Also, from your experience, what shutter speed do you think you would have needed to freeze the wings? (I quite like the blur, but I'm curious)

Hi Miguel and welcome here. We hope that you join up and take part in this great place for learning :).

I kept about four of the six frame sequence. This is the sharpest and the best pose--I got lucky there. I considered removing the big drop lower left but decided against it.

If I had been at +1 1/3 stops and kept the ISO at 400 the shutter speed would have dropped to a dangerously low 1/400 sec. There is a good chance that I would not have gotten the head sharp. I would probably needed at least 1/2000 sec. to freeze the rapidly beating wings as such close range. I never think that way. I just try to get the face and the eye sharp....

Miguel Palaviccini
08-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the info Artie! Also, just sent you a message regarding your ABPii. Let me know if you get a chance to check it out. Thanks!

Frank Schauf
08-25-2012, 12:16 PM
A great dynamic image, congratulations, Arthur.

Phil Richardson
08-25-2012, 12:45 PM
What a low perspective Artie! Looks like you were half submerged :-) Congratulations! Head, eyes and beak are sharp, if distant. I like to get this type of shot occasionally to emphasize the beautiful motion of these birds. Its dynamic, rather than static. Head-on movement is difficult to capture, and you have done very well here. The high key background is also difficult to work with, but your bird's whites show well anyway. Nice comp with room on the right for the bird to go into.

Marina Scarr
08-26-2012, 11:53 AM
It's taken me a few looks before deciding how I felt about this one...still unsure but commenting anyway. I like the fact that it's unique b/c that's something I have been striving for myself and looking for in others' photos. The movement in the wings works well, as do the hanging feet and droplets of water. Your whites look good and I see nice details. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of an eye. So I like this more than I don't. It's quite unique, dynamic and representative of a fun behavior to watch in these birds. Thanks for posting us and giving us all food for thought.

Arthur Morris
08-26-2012, 12:04 PM
YAW; I like it a lot even with just a peek at the one eye.

Arthur Morris
08-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks Phil and Frank for your kind words.