PDA

View Full Version : Little Mr. Huffer

Arthur Morris
08-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Little Mr. Huffer thought that he was a tough guy. But he was not. Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/08/02/the-adventures-of-little-mr-huffer/) for more pix and the whole (ground level) story.

Tripod-mounted Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens with the 1.4X III TC and the EOS-5D Mark III. ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/640 sec. at f/5.6 in Manual mode.

Don't be shy; all honest comments welcome.

The pre-publication version of my 5D Mark III User's Guide is still available with a $10 discount here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/06/21/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-users-guide-pre-publication-version-available-now/).

Jamie Douglas
08-24-2012, 12:19 AM
A great looking bear and the 5D Mark III looks like it captures a wide depth of colour tones. Might be inclined to remove the white on the LHS though, what was that?

I must venture up there one day.

Jamie

Steve Kaluski
08-24-2012, 01:24 AM
Hi Artie, great depth within this image, she looks like the original 'Steiff bear', you get the impression you could almost loose your hands in that think coat (well quite literally if you tried). I like the way she comes in from the right with the head turn to camera. Great on retaining that lovely depth of colour in the eyes and subtle detail in the nose. The striking blue adds to an impressive backdrop for this image and having a slight vignette of colour working up from the foot of the image is a nice touch. I too wondered about the white steak, what it is and should it stay? If it goes perhaps it might look too 'clinical'? Happy either way. Artie is this almost FF, or cropped?

Certainly the 5D MKIII & 1DX IMHO is a big step change in what can be achieved now, loving the 1DX as you know.

TFS
Steve

Arthur Morris
08-24-2012, 03:45 AM
A great looking bear and the 5D Mark III looks like it captures a wide depth of colour tones. Might be inclined to remove the white on the LHS though, what was that?

I must venture up there one day.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie. It was a snowbank on a distant conifer-covered hillside.

Arthur Morris
08-24-2012, 03:47 AM
Thanks Steve for your thoughtful and kindly comments. I do not get here much but I've gotta say that you are doing a great job here. As above, the white slash is snowbank on a distant hillside.... I've thought about creating a version without it.

Rachel Hollander
08-24-2012, 05:49 AM
Hi Artie - the bear really pops from the screen. I like the comp, dof and the intensity of the stare. The blue bg works well. The white streak does sort of catch the eye though.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
08-24-2012, 05:56 AM
I do not get here much but I've gotta say that you are doing a great job here.

Thanks Artie, but it's a Team effort and looks like currently the girls are keeping us on our toes with their posts, comments & inquiring questions :bg3:

The door is always open whenever you fancy swinging by to post or comment, as you take a different slant to our commenting & advice, which is great.

Look forward to more from the AK region.

Steve

Arthur Morris
08-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Here's a version with the snow bank removed. Not sure that I like it....

Steve Kaluski
08-24-2012, 06:48 AM
If it goes perhaps it might look too 'clinical'?

I think you have answered my thought Artie, for whatever reason, it works, so the OP for me. :S3:

Ken Watkins
08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Art,

I know that there is a "general" preference for clean backgrounds, but I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment and the use of the word "clinical".

The bear itself is magnificent:cheers:

Arthur Morris
08-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Art,

I know that there is a "general" preference for clean backgrounds, but I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment and the use of the word "clinical".

The bear itself is magnificent:cheers:

I like to think that I had something to do with that general preference :). I too prefer the OP.

Arthur Morris
08-24-2012, 10:08 AM
I think you have answered my thought Artie, for whatever reason, it works, so the OP for me. :S3:

Agree on too clinical for this image. It helps once you know that it is a hillside and a snowbank rather than the sky and a cloud....

Marina Scarr
08-24-2012, 10:41 AM
The first time I looked at this, I really felt the white detracted, even though I was pretty sure it was snow, and even though I am not big on cleaning up photos. It helps to have the RP to compare. Although still ambivalent, the OP is growing on me.

Could you please explain why you chose an aperture of F5.6 here when you had maneuverability with your ISO?

Markus Jais
08-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Fantastic portrait. I like the eye contact. The blue BG is amazing!

Markus

Steve Kaluski
08-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Cheers Artie, when I used the word 'originally' in my reply it might have been strong, but I think it was the best way to describe my thoughts, cheers.

Arthur Morris
08-24-2012, 12:02 PM
The first time I looked at this, I really felt the white detracted, even though I was pretty sure it was snow, and even though I am not big on cleaning up photos. It helps to have the RP to compare. Although still ambivalent, the OP is growing on me.

Could you please explain why you chose an aperture of F5.6 here when you had maneuverability with your ISO?

Was confused by a bear at minimum focusing distance and could not think clearly.... Actually, I often make such mistakes in the heat of the action but with long glass choosing a slightly narrower d-o-f does often does not make much of a visible difference.

Morkel Erasmus
08-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Hey Artie - good to see you venturing in here! I am a little occupied with the mini-Morkman at home now, but still keep tabs with new posts and chime in when I can. :t3
I love that BG colour, offsets the bear nicely. I too prefer the OP as opposed to the more "clinical" repost.
Does it need a little bit of a luminosity adjustment to bring down the brightest highlights? Not sure it will improve, but worth a shot? :e3

Let's see some more bears!

Arthur Morris
08-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks Mork. What is the little Morker's name? How old? The highlights look fine from here and there was nothing hot during the conversion.

Morkel Erasmus
08-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks Mork. What is the little Morker's name? How old? The highlights look fine from here and there was nothing hot during the conversion.

I wasn't implying that they're blown...merely that it might serve to extract more detail from them :e3.

The little one is called Daniël Morkel Erasmus. I posted a photo here:
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/101583-Dani%C3%ABl-Morkel-Erasmus-is-born :bg3:

Andrew McLachlan
08-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi Arthur, I like the stare and also prefer the OP with the distance snow included. Over this way I only get to see a Bear's butt as it bolts off into the bush.

Jamie Douglas
08-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks Jamie. It was a snowbank on a distant conifer-covered hillside.

Thanks Artie, I am a little late in getting back to the party. I am not sure that I like the repost version either but something in me would have liked a wider DOF in the OP so the snow bank was just a tad more defined in the image.

Besides that this is a a great looking image and I can't wait to see more.

Jamie