PDA

View Full Version : Buff-tailed coronet

Ben_Sadd
08-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Photographed in Ecuador last December. Had fun we these, among many other hummingbirds, in the Tandayapa valley.

I have some on more elegant, less knobs (my major issue with this), or decorated with some moss, but I liked the bird in this one.

7D
300mm f/4
Manual 1/250 f/5.6
ISO 800
Fill flash, can't find the setting but likely - 2 2/3

Peter Dexter
08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Nice capture showing the buff tail and some of the iridescence on the head. His breast looks a tad "messy" so I wonder if it is a juvenile.

Randy Stout
08-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Ben:

Fun looking hummer, yes a bit scruffy on the breast, nice BG color.

I might consider toning down the brighter areas of the perch, and cropping a sliver off the top to move the bird up a bit.

Even the catchlight is natural, I might consider slight cleaning up to improve the apparent sharpness of the eye.

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
08-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Lovely pose on this HB, Ben. You acquired nice details and colors. Lovely BG. You may consider Randy's suggestion of toning down the brighter portions of the perch but I would leave the eye au naturel.

Ben_Sadd
08-24-2012, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the comments. Darkening the perch a little should be an easy fix.

Peter, it could well be a juvenile, or it could have just come out of a little scuffle. At this particular site the buff-tails were the territorial ones and rarely spent more than a few seconds on a perch before engaging another hummingbird passing by.

Daniel Cadieux
08-24-2012, 09:03 AM
I like the pose, looks like a studio set-up (in a good way). The perch is really not that bad but it would have been better had you been able to set yourself up parallel to it to avoid the dof issue on it. Toning it down is certainly an option to explore. Techs are spot-on, and you have a very beautiful BG.

Satish Ranadive
08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Excellent image.I like the way BG colors are complimenting well to the iridescence of birds.
Love the pose,colors,details and composition.Rest already mentioned by moderators.

Regards,
Satish.

Frank Schauf
08-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Beautiful and colorful image. Sharp and well composed, Ben.