PDA

View Full Version : Top of the World Ma

Ken Watkins
08-23-2012, 11:38 AM
This youngster was to say the least very dirty, having been in the mud the night before feasting on a Buffalo. Hence it was of a "non-standard" colour

Taken in Kidepo National Park, Northern Uganda 18th June 2012

EOS 1D MkIII

70-200mm at 123mm

F5.6, ISO 800, 1/500, EV + 1.33

Rachel Hollander
08-24-2012, 06:12 AM
Ken - always interesting to see a lion in a tree. I think you needed more dof here and maybe a bit more selective sharpening on the lion. Looks like an overcast day.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Agree with Rachel - great to see! Love the 'sausages' in the background, great context.

I know you probably won't like this - but I saw potential for this, and went with it...:e3

Marina Scarr
08-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Like the OP but don't love it. Unfortunately, I am unable to articulate why after looking at it several times. I do however feel as though Morkel's B&W really gives it a lift up and some pop.

Tom Graham
08-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I feel Morkel's B&W works better than OP because: 1) The bright green of the tree in OP is distracting, 2) The blank sky on the OP is also distracting. By making it B&W the green goes away and the sky looks natural (as expected in a B&W).
Tom

Ken Watkins
08-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks everybody, for your comments and suggestions, I tried this image many different ways and just could not get it to look anything other than dull, probably because it was a very dull day, and the youngster was in the shade of the tree.

A little bit of blue or some structure in the sky may have helped, plus of course the Lion could have stood somewhere better:w3

Morkel,

I do not dislike the B & W but feel that it suffers from the post you had to work with, back to the drawing board