PDA

View Full Version : My first decent loon image

Jamie Douglas
08-22-2012, 11:55 PM
I discovered a lake last year that is home to a nesting pair of loons but it wasn't until two weeks ago when I borrowed a friend’s 500mm F4 and a pair of waders that I finally nailed an image I am proud of. Even though I discovered the lake last year I have only been able to make 4 trips out there and even though I like the image I should have been there maybe 30 minutes earlier when the sun wasn’t quite above the trees yet.

Canon 1D4 with 500MM F4 IS w/1.4x @ F5.6, 1/1600, ISO1000 - Techs could have been better i.e. a lower ISO but given the sun was coming up fast and I was submerged in water I was more preoccupied with not slipping - rookie mistake.

View website version here: http://jamiedouglasphotography.com/p646954356/h23df9ee0#h23df9ee0

Thanks

Jamie

Robert Holguin
08-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Real nice shot. I really like the pose, exposed well, and great background.
Well done.

Steve Kaluski
08-23-2012, 01:37 AM
Hi Jamie, good to see you building up, not only on species but techniques as well. Try using a tripod, might just help stability. Personally I would have preferred the whole reflection in and therefore removing the 1.4 might have helped with offering more space all round, then you could crop, easier with hindsight. :w3 I think you could also apply a one degree CW rotation. Whites & detail look good, love that red beady eye.

TFS
Steve

David Salem
08-23-2012, 02:31 AM
You should be proud. Thats a very nice shot. Exposure , HA, BG and details look great. Maybe lighten the shadow on the neck a little. Good Job... P.S. Get a 500, makes for a beautiful bokeh that is hard to replicate with smaller lenses.

David

Tom Rambaut
08-23-2012, 02:35 AM
Very nice - I just love this species despite never seeing one other than here on BPN.

Ofer Levy
08-23-2012, 03:53 AM
Very sweet image! A bit tight on the right.

Randy Stout
08-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Jaime:

Congrats on getting this image. I know what a thrill it is to capture these wonderful birds. Nice job working with waders, as the birds are often so mobile that it is difficult to work from the shore.
Nice shooting angle from being in the water. I would def. recommend some support, either in the form of a tripod or with a floating platform/tube to help support your gear. Safer by far.

This is a nice pose, with fine display of the trademark red eye, nice texture on the breast visible because of the side light, smooth background.

At my latitude, 45 degrees, I need to be on the water before 6 am to find the birds and be in position when the light comes up. That means getting up at 3:45 most days, but that is the price you pay for the good shots :S3:

I agree with Ofer, a smidge tight on the right.

Again, congrats! They are addictive (at least that is what I have been told :w3)

Cheers

Randy

Melissa Groo
08-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Beautiful image, Jamie. I love that pose, and the quality of the light, the detail and IQ. I would like to see a little bit more room behind (maybe via add canvas?). I could also see an alternative comp with a slice off the bottom. But overall great job. I just had the opportunity to photograph a family of loons up in the Adirondacks over the last couple days, and I now know how tricky exposure on these guys can be!

Stu Bowie
08-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi Jamie, excellent perspective shooting from the water, and love the casual head back pose. The light has brought out the colour on the head perfectly, and their red eyes always stand out well. I agree on a bit of CW rotation, together with a bit more space on the right.

Miguel Palaviccini
08-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Great angle/perspective. I would either keep the entire reflection (which you might not have) or remove a little more off the bottom. Otherwise, just a bit of CW rotation and it's set!

Randy Stout
08-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Jamie:

I looked at the image again, and one tip that can help clean up the reflection is to tone down the long distorted highlight from the catchlight. Because of the low shooting angle, these catchlight reflections get quite elongated and can be distracting, esp. against the dark tones in the reflection.

Cheers

Randy

Jamie Douglas
08-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback and supportive comments folks. I am at work but wanted to add that this was taken using a Gitzo tripod and Wimberley head. I should have mentioned that above. I was still worried about slipping though because the lake shore was a little treacherous with logs.

I’ll be back later with further comments in response to all your feedback.

Thanks again

Jamie </SPAN>

Arthur Morris
08-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Loverly pose and a good job with less than ideal light. I'd lose the long specular reflection near the lower frame edge--it comes from the moving water and the eye highlight.

Jamie Douglas
08-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Thank you again everyone. I went back to the RAW file and retraced my steps and applied a few tweaks based on your feedback. Cropped with more room on the right, applied CW rotation, and cropped out the head reflection. I also reduced the contrast a touch to show more detail in the head.

Let me know what you think and thanks again folks. I am pretty happy with this image and not bad going for my 2nd time ever using a 500mm if I do say so myself :bg3:

David, I am waiting for someone I know to tell me when they are ready to sell their 500mm :)

Steve, I did not anticipate the loon coming in so close. Ten seconds or so after I took this image it stretched it's wings right in front of me. I let out a few choice words under my breath and then promptly removed the 1.4x but he lost interest in me soon after and the light became impossible.

Cheers for the advice Randy and you have given me food for thought for next time. Next year once I have my 500mm I'll probs sleep in the car and be ready. I spent a little longer than planned getting back down a mtn after doing some landscapes images that same morning and misjudged the sun hitting the valley floor. Next time, I will be more prepared.

Thanks to everyone else and cheers for stopping by Artie and sharing your thoughts.

Jamie

:5

Frank Schauf
08-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Beautiful portrait, great pose and colours.

Jamie Douglas
08-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Cheers Frank

Doug Brown
08-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Lovely frame and excellent advice from the loon experts!

Jamie Douglas
08-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Lovely frame and excellent advice from the loon experts!

Thanks Doug. BPN is by far the best forum for advice.

Jamie