PDA

View Full Version : Tobago for birds

Jonathan Lethbridge
08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi, I am travelling to Tobago in November, ostensibly for a relaxing holiday. However I am sure I will not be able to help myself when it comes to photographing the amazing birds that there are there. I'm staying at the north-east of the island, which is more forested, and most my birding and photography will be around there, a place called Batteaux Bay.
Any thoughts on what the optimum gear setup might be?
Bodies are 1d4 and 5d3, and I have access to quite a few lenses happily, but I don't want to hump something all the way there and not use it. Telephotos that I could get ahold of are 800, 500, and 300 2.8, with shorter lenses including the 70-200 mkII, the 70-300 L, 135 f2, and the 100 IS macro (which is definitely coming). I have a couple of flashes, and could bring a monopod, or a full tripod with gimbal. Hand luggage is generous, but I don't want to have masses and masses. My current thought is that the 5d3, 300 2.8, extenders 1.4x and 2x, the 70-200 and the macro would cover all bases, and leave the tripod, but I know that focal length is so important for birds and that 600mm isn't very much. I'd love to hear from somebody that has been there.
Thanks
Jonathan

Oscar Dewhurst
08-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Hi Jonathan,

I've been to Tobago about 4 years ago, and that was in October, but I wasn't a photographer then so wasn't thinking like one! From what I remember, there are a number of very very tame birds like Blue-grey Tanagers, Blue-crowned Mot-mots, and Bananaquits. If you are restricted for lenses, a 1D 4, 300 2.8 and TCs would be fine for most situations, but, as it's bird photography, there will always be occasions where you wish you had more!

If you are planning on going to a rainforesty type place, a tripod might be useful as light levels won't be particularly high.

If you want a bird guide, Newton George is your man (http://www.newtongeorge.com/), we used him when were were there and he was fantastic.

If you've got more questions, send me an email on oscar.dewhurst@gmail.com

Regards,

Oscar