PDA

View Full Version : Indian Rhino calf

Andreas Liedmann
08-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Photographed this little Rhino accompanied by big mummy in Kaziranga NP in Assam
By knowing it is not the ideal shooting angle, but what to do when sitting on an elephant back, so i hope it works for you viewers.I was thinking just jump of the ellie , like Morkel with his whites :bg3:, but the mahout and big mamma of the youngster told me not to do so.

Though the light was also not on my side, i hope i got the best out of my options , WDYT ?

EOS 1D II

EF 100-400 IS L at 235 mm

HH from elephant back

F 5 / 1/750sec / ISO 400

Processed in RPP + PS cropped to 60% of FF for composition

C&C welcome good or bad.
Cheers Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Great Shot Andreas! I would be happy to get this shot. I understand your feelings, I have been to Kaziranga NP and have been of a few Elephant safaris myself and I know it is impossible to get down and the elephants are rarely stable or still! In the situation you were in, you did very well. Cute looking fella! TFS.

Marina Scarr
08-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Without reading your comments, I would not have known you were as high as on top of an elephant when capturing this sweet calf. Comp looks good and you got a head turn toward you. Good job with exposure considering the difficult lighting situation. I like the back lit peach fuzz of the ears. Processing looks good b/c I can really get a feel for the rhino's texture.

Ken Watkins
08-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Andreas,

This is great, quite how you got it from Elephant back is beyond me. Elephants are probably a worse game viewing platform than Maruti Gypsies:bg3:

Tom Graham
08-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Nice and I like it more when flipped left-right.
Tom

Steve Kaluski
08-22-2012, 02:37 AM
Hi Andreas, looks a cheeky youngster with his tongue poking out at you.:S3:

Would not have guessed this was photographed from that position, looks just like most of the shots posted here from a vehicle. I agree with Marina about the texture, you could try a Levels adjustment using a Green overlay channel as a B/W, gives a bit more tone? Would try dropping some Blue out of the Rhino. Like Tom's suggestion of flipping it.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
08-22-2012, 03:41 AM
These are so cute Andreas. From me as well - good job on shooting this from elephant back!
Exposure was well handled - might dodge the face ever so slightly...
:cheers:

Andreas Liedmann
08-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks to all you people for your comments and suggestions appreciate them all very much.

For all of you who do not really understand how it was possible to get such a shooting angle from a back of an elephant, the elephant was "parked" in a didge or lets say gully (hope you understand ) so the angle was OK to shoot, not ideal from my POV.
During my visit in Kaziranga i saw 3 calves and all only from elephant back never when we explored the park by Gipsy, all the time they have been very relaxed.

PS- sorry for those of you who suggested a flipping of the image , not my business i leave my images as they are in that term.

TFW Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
08-22-2012, 12:53 PM
RP with Steve`s and Morkel`s suggestions.
WDYT?

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
08-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Hi Andreas - cute little rhino and I prefer the repost to the op. Slight change in color improves the image a lot.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
08-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi Andreas,

great image of this sweet little chap. The repost I like much better as well.
Ciao
Anette