PDA

View Full Version : Banded Lapwing

Ofer Levy
08-21-2012, 05:30 AM
EDIT:
Name is Banded Lapwing

1D Mark IV, Canon 800 f5.6, x1.4, 1/1000, f11, iso 800, tripod

Spent a lovely afternoon in a place called Windsor about an hour drive from Sydney where about 15 of these lovely birds came to visit. They are quite rare visitors and it was the first time for me to see this species. I was very happy to have the 1120mm lens as even after crawling for nearly 3 hours they didn't let me get too close.

About 80% of full frame

Richard Unsworth
08-21-2012, 05:38 AM
Stunning shot Ofer!
perfect pose, fantastic light, angle and beautiful eye
sterling work.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Oscar Dewhurst
08-21-2012, 05:42 AM
Wonderful image, great light and colours

Oscar

Ken Watkins
08-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Ofer,

You have posted many great images here and this has to be one of the best:cheers:

Staggering detail and perfect pose and for me a bird I have never seen before, bliss

Tom Rambaut
08-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Great image Ofer - makes me want to buy the 800mm tommorrow! Nice afternoon light.

Frank Schauf
08-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Exellent image quality, great details, sharpness and light, Ofer.

Karl Egressy
08-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Beautiful shorebird, well photographed, Ofer. I like the HA, raised foot, shooting angle and the light which is really great.

Ofer Levy
08-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Beautiful shorebird, well photographed, Ofer. I like the HA, raised foot, shooting angle and the light which is really great.

Thanks for your comments and kind words guys!
Karl, it isn't really a shore bird as it lives inland.

Sachin Saraf
08-21-2012, 08:15 AM
This is fabulous capture Ofer...Wow! beautiful colors, low angle, walking pose, composition, BG...Everything is just perfect...looking forward to see more images from the series.

Arthur Morris
08-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Great image Ofer - makes me want to buy the 800mm tommorrow! Nice afternoon light.

Yes. Ofer has a very good lens.

Ofer Levy
08-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Yes. Ofer has a very good lens.
And I bought it mostly because I read all the good things Artie had to say about it....:w3

Sachin Saraf
08-21-2012, 08:43 AM
And I bought it mostly because I read all the good things Artie had to say about it....:w3

Now we know why Artie and Ofer's images look so great :w3

Ofer Levy
08-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Now we know why Artie and Ofer's images look so great :w3
You are right! It must be the lens!!! :bg3:

Jack Breakfast
08-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Incredible! I would love to hear more about how you crawled, the conditions, and how you were feeling all the while. Shall I wait for your memoirs? Stunning bird, wonderfully captured. I can't be 100% sure, but I have a sneaking suspicion it wasn't JUST the lens that gave you this shot. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'll drop twelve grand tomorrow and presto change-o my pictures will be TRANSFORMED?!?! Eeks! It's this kind of thinking that sweetens the pockets of the Canon & Nikon Corps on a quotidian basis...

Marina Scarr
08-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Lovely image, Ofer. Love the colors, the details, the lifted leg and the comp.

This Lapwing must be a little like our Killdeer (which looks like a plover) which most people think is a shorebird but is actually a wetlands bird.

Ofer Levy
08-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi Jack, I was at the location at 1pm as I had to find the birds first. Found them pretty quickly and had to wait till about 4pm when the light starts to be nice. (sunset at 5:20pm). Instead of sitting in the car I thought it would be more interesting and productive if I will get closer to the birds which were feeding in an open field so they will get used to my presence. So for about 2 hours I just got closer and closer crawling while dragging my tripod+camera+lens. At first the birds didn't let me get closer than 30 meters or so but eventually I could get as close as 15 meters or so. This image was taken from 17 meters.

Ofer Levy
08-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Lovely image, Ofer. Love the colors, the details, the lifted leg and the comp.

This Lapwing must be a little like our Killdeer (which looks like a plover) which most people think is a shorebird but is actually a wetlands bird.
Thanks Marina, I think the Banded Lapwing is slightly bigger than the Killdear but not much.

dankearl
08-21-2012, 09:08 AM
One of your best, Ofer.
The usual great IQ and light, but the details and the attractive bird really put this over the top.

Jack Breakfast
08-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi Jack, I was at the location at 1pm as I had to find the birds first. Found them pretty quickly and had to wait till about 4pm when the light starts to be nice. (sunset at 5:20pm). Instead of sitting in the car I thought it would be more interesting and productive if I will get closer to the birds which were feeding in an open field so they will get used to my presence. So for about 2 hours I just got closer and closer crawling while dragging my tripod+camera+lens. At first the birds didn't let me get closer than 30 meters or so but eventually I could get as close as 15 meters or so. This image was taken from 17 meters.

Ofer, thanks kindly for that. I can see it now! I admire your dedication and love of craft. It continually pays off...

David Salem
08-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Ofer,

Very nice capture. Very photogenic bird. Great techs and detail as always. That extra reach sure came in handy on this outing. Congrats on a new species. Great Job.

David

Satish Ranadive
08-21-2012, 09:45 AM
A Masterpiece. Just love it.

Regards,
Satish.

arash_hazeghi
08-21-2012, 11:15 AM
this is amazing. Love the pose light details and the display of the low angle with no distractions. I'm glad everything came together for you here!

gail bisson
08-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi Ofer,
Another lovely image. Nice low POV and pose.
Love that pop of red with the yellow.
Gail

Tom Rambaut
08-21-2012, 06:16 PM
You are right! It must be the lens!!! :bg3:

The lens does not make you a good photographer. It is just that the more experince I have gained the more I realise that the issue with many Australian birds is getting close, excluding call playback and feeder senarios, and the reach of the 800mm would make a big difference. Many species, including this one above, just turn up in places and are not used to people. Hench getting 17 meters away to take the shot takes a lot of work.

Arthur Morris
08-21-2012, 06:26 PM
My original comment, one that I hear often, was intended as tongue in cheek. All that it takes is $13K to purchase the 600 II. Being a good photographer is priceless....

june skywell
08-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Lovely image. Must be on the turf farms? Or public land?

Ofer Levy
08-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Lovely image. Must be on the turf farms? Or public land?
It was taken at "Windsor turf supplies" - PM for more info.

Grace Scalzo
08-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Ofer, fine work, as usual. The effort that you put in to creating this image was well rewarded.

Jamie Douglas
08-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Great looking species done justice with sweet IQ and BG.

Melvin Grey
08-23-2012, 04:19 AM
All your patience and hard work has really paid of with this image, Ofer. Perfect light and the raised foot is really the 'icing on the cake ' with this pose. Plus the usual sharpness and great plumage detail.